Santee-Cooper timing

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by amk29, Jan 9, 2010.

1. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    Boys,
    I am a NC cat-novice who has been wanting to take a trip to Santee-Cooper. Was wondering when is the best time of year to catch cats there. Here the blues are still biting well but the flatsheads are asleep. I don't know much about fishing on Santee-Cooper other than by reputation. Any chance of catching fish without a guide for first-timers on the lakes? Any good threads to read on the basics of fishing there? Thanks for any/all advice, Adam

2. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    To me the best thing you could do for your first time down there is to Hire a Guide. Its a big area to try and cover and you might do good, or come up skunked. Give Roundhill a call and let him put you in the right direction for the first time, then take what you learn and go at it your self.

3. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I'll second that. Hiring a guide that knows the lakes will save you alot of time and trouble.

4. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    This is exellent advise. I wish I had done the same years ago. One trip with Roundhill will save you a ton of time and money in the long run.

5. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    guys, thanks for all the advice. what time of year is best to plan a trip? is the fishing good in the next few months? thanks again. adam

6. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Adam get up with Roundhill like the others said, he is listed in the USCA guide secton ,if i rember correctly he offers a special rate for USCA members also he could tell you the best times to go to get some nice fish

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  7. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    If you can wait untill late March-early April, then fish the canal.It'll save you from hiring a guide & should be stacked w/ fish by then.Also the trees in front of the state park on the upper lake should be getting hot by then.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    amk29, yes, you can catch catfish on your own on Santee Cooper.

You can also die a horrible cold lonely death.

My suggestion would be to either hire a guide your first time down, or fish with someone who has been out on the lake before. I have never hired a guide on Santee, but I have fished with folks who know the lake. There are some places I am scared to fish, the upper lake being one of them.

Bad weather can kill you on that lake. Many men have died on the waters of Santee Cooper. Waves on freshwater come up more quickly and higher than they do on saltwater, because freshwater is less dense. Add in the shallow areas on Santee and you have a recipe for disaster.

Guides like Roundhill will not only provide you with the best chance of catching fish the day you are fishing, but they will fill you full of valuable information for when you want to bring your own boat back down to the lake. You will learn a lot from folks like Ron if you take the time to listen to everything he says, no matter how hard you are laughing at some of the things he says! Seriously, Roundhill is as entertaining as he is educational!

9. Zero

Zero New Member

State:
    SC
    I don't know about Santee specifically, but looking at the last 8 years of serious catfishing, my favorite time is late spring before the summer gets cooking good and then right after it cools off to 80s and 70s, early fall/late summer. Summer's good but there's a lot of bait and they may be feeding or they might not touch anything.

And I'll have to agree, get a guide then try to replicate what he does on your own, Santee's a dangerous and hard to fish lake.

10. amk29

amk29 New Member

State:
    Durham, NC
    thanks all around. when it comes to fishing, i don't know much... but at least I know that i don't know much, so it looks like i will be giving Roundhill a call. from the postings, it really looks like people are catching fish year round. I will ask the guides when they recommend and will make it happen.
    thanks again, truly, for helping a beginner have a good time and stay safe. see you on the lake! adam