Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would this work good for drift fishing on a big lake like tawakoni if I use a pyramid sinker with a sinker slide instead of just no roll sinker ?
IMG_20180426_205425.jpg

Premium Member
I would think it would do fine Wes. Might be a little more that could cause a tangle but the principal is the same.

Registered
That sinker will most likely get hung up. We have been using something like what's pictured down on Wheeler lake the past couple of years and have been very impressed.
20180506_202419.jpg

Premium Member
It shouldn't get hung up a lot more than a no role on a Santee rig. Now there is nothing wrong with a Dragon rig either but that is not what the question was.

Registered
I plan to use a bunch of them like that that I have.

Registered
You are going to be dragging the flat spot forward, so it will hang up very easily. It will also give you some good action when it hangs up and pops off of every little rock and twig down there, as long as it does pop off. At least with no-rolls you are dragging a pointed end, but by far the best weights are pencil weights and what wade posted. Bank sinkers will work too, just not quite as well.

The other thing you are going to have happen is that pyramid sinker will want to spin like a propeller down there, and your whole rig will spin. If you need to use the pyramids, bank sinkers, or coin style weights use them on a short 3 way rig so the swivel takes up the spin. Use a lighter test line on the weight part too so you get your rig back when it hangs up.

Registered
Where I fish, I use Santees exclusively but I set a 3'' peg float about 6-8'' away from the hook with a 2oz no roll and it keeps my cut shad off the bottom. I wonder if it's closer than that, whether it might spook the fish? So far it's been working on blues for me.

Registered
I don't drag bait- I either anchor fish or I suspend-drift so the sinker isn't a major issue for me, but if I were dragging on a river, I'd make up a bunch of those tube weights for sure!

Registered
I don't drag bait- I either anchor fish or I suspend-drift so the sinker isn't a major issue for me, but if I were dragging on a river, I'd make up a bunch of those tube weights for sure!
That is pretty helpful info to me because I was wondering if I could use a SC rig while stationary.

Registered
No-rolls are great in deeper water, but in the shallows they allow the peg float to rise to the surface so I switch to a fixed sinker and my santee rig stays near the bottom as it's supposed to do.

Registered
That is pretty helpful info to me because I was wondering if I could use a SC rig while stationary.
The flathead in my picture was caught on a santee rig while anchor fishing. If you use a sliding sinker, be sure to peg it somehow (i use a split shot above it) otherwise the rig will separate whenever you get a little slack line as zigarro said. 3 way rigs with a short leader to the weight work better.

Registered
Looks to me like you could make a necklace type sinker out of small rounds with a bullet shaped sinker on the attachment end very easily. O better still use a row of the little bullet sized sinkers, they have a recess in the large end so the next one would fit in it like a joint.

Registered
That will work. It's not the recommended solution, but you can drift with that, but that pyramid weight will hang a lot. I use a homemade "slinky" weight, it's a series of eggs weights on heavy mono. I usually make them in 2 ounces. The terminal end I personally make a float rigs so that when I lose terminal tackle it's easy to tie on a new one and the beads make some noise.

Attachments

Banned
Would this work good for drift fishing on a big lake like tawakoni if I use a pyramid sinker with a sinker slide instead of just no roll sinker ? View attachment 282060

Pyramid sinkers work great for sand or pea gravel bottoms....they are a burden in rocks and trees. They hang up real easy.

No rolls are for carolina style rigs.

I use sinker sliders now and use either bank sinkers or these big flat colorado blade looking sinkers a local guy makes and sells at one of our local bait shops. He makes them up to 3 ounces. you can stack them. They "no roll" just fine in current but they can cause some horrific line twist if you don't have them on a good swivel

I use the flat circle disk sinkers a lot when carp fishing or method leads. They can hang up pretty easy as well. Sometimes I use bass casting weights that can clip on the line and still slide if fishing close in and don't need a lot of weight for distance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts