Santee-Cooper recomendation needed

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Weldoman, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Weldoman

Weldoman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Can someone reccomend a place to camp? In a tent? and not a camper? Preferably on the water or close? I used to stay at Blounts Landing out on the point to the right of the boat ramp, but last year I was down there they wouldn't let us camp there anymore, something about the bank being undercut and unsafe, so we stayed at Canal Lakes, but he didn't have any tent campsites, but Ray (Ray Sedgewick) let us pitch our tent behind his house there. Awful nice guy, just wished he'd get a tent campsite or 2, lol. So we went back to Santee this past spring and checked back at Blounts and they weren't even open this time! The sand must of been a foot thick or deeper on the boat ramp. We checked out Rock's Pond which is next door but if i remember correctly it seemed a bit pricey and a ways from the water, and more camper trailer friendly than tent. Mill Creek is another I've been to, not alot of waterfront, but they do have tent sites, and it is close to my fishing water across from 16-island. We checked out Black's camp too, not alot of shade and didnt seem tent friendly, Besides it's on Moultrie too I think? And to be honest I haven't fished Moultrie unless someone would care to put me on a hole or two? LoL. Having proper "facilities" isn't really a concern either. I have stayed 3 days on the "Public" land next to i95 bridge where the creek comes out into the lake on that sand bar, proper hygiene isn't on my short list of things I worry about when Im out on a big cat trip! We did stay at Cooper's this past spring but she only has two or three sites and most weekends during the summer they're already reserved or whatever. The state park would be ideal if it was on the south end of the lake where I fish! Too long a boat ride on a stumpy lake for me. Well any ideas?

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Harry's has tent camping, within a few feet of the water, swimming area and fishing piers, too. They have bath and restroom facilities, as well as a restaurant. It is about a 4-5 mile ride through the channel to sixteen island, though. They are located on Lake Marion at the head of the diversion canal.

3. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    You can go all over the Santee area and you won't find a better place to stay other than Harry's .Mike and the people there will do all they can to help you in any way.Good folks who care ,and want you to have a great time while stayin there.

4. jimbob3445

jimbob3445 New Member

State:
    New Bern, North Carolina
    Hey Everyone I'm A New Member

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Welcome to the BOC

6. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Jonathan, welcome to the BOC, this is the best site and the most information you'll find on the net,,,,,,,,,,

7. Weldoman

Weldoman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey Jonathon welcome aboard!

8. chewy

chewy New Member

State:
    Bonneau, South Carolina
    If you got a boat you could always camp on coon island on moultrie. I was over there sunday and there is alot of camp sights over there and its free. Theres just no facilities. We call that ruffin it. HAHA

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Where is coon island, Chewy? I'm not familiar with it, at least not by that name.

10. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    We are staying in Santee state park in one of the cabins on the pier July 22 weekend. Is this any good? We are going down for an alumni fraternity trip. Any suggestions for fishing there I dont have boat and I am hoping that I can cast right out of the front door maybe while at the same time catching a beer out of the frig. It is the only time of the year i drink. And I would like to say Welcome to BOC Jimbob this is the greatest fishing forum you will find.
    Stephen

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I was going to suggest Santee state park. I know they have a bunch of camping spots there, as well as the cabins.

12. chewy

chewy New Member

State:
    Bonneau, South Carolina
    If you go out og Bonneau landing head to the right. Just keep going until you see some boats line up on an island and thats it.

13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Jack's creek Marina is pretty nice check their web site jackscreekmarina.com I think if thats not it a search will pull it easily enough.

14. Weldoman

Weldoman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for all the replies men. That's what makes this site so great, Kudos!

15. Swampx

Swampx New Member

State:
    SC
    Buy the closed pier area you wrote about in your post. Best advice I can give you. Run it the way you want and make a fortune.

16. Swampx

Swampx New Member

State:
    SC
    Now that I've started posting, I forgot why and what I was gonna post and where. I'm a blonde you know. :eek:oooh: Gonna on a road trip in the Am, up the coast to NC, maybe even VA. Not sure yet. Wherever I stop, that's my destiny. Have a safe 4th.