Santee Cooper Lakes System

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by blackwaterkatz, Dec 29, 2005.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Just a heads up to anyone coming this way before Jan 3, 2006: live bait is hard to come by at most tackle shops right now due to the slow holiday season. Most shops that I spoke with yesterday don't expect bait before next week, so unless you plan to catch your own, better call ahead. Some of the shops have been close this week for holidays, but will be open by the 3rd.

The good side, for all you ice-bound catters, is that rooms should be pretty easy to find, and the blues are really starting to pick up the bite on Lake Marion as the shad die-off begins, and will continue through Feb.

2. big "E"

big "E" New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the heads up on the bait.We would have been caught short.The shad kill happens mostly in deep water at the spillway right?Kind of a novice , been there several times but skunked most of those.Thanks again.

3. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Im really a novice to as the only boat ive been able to use is a ragged out pontoon with no fishfinder so I could only go when my friend was off. Now have my own boat with fishinder and gps so hoping to go much more and learn a lot.

During the shadkill we always just looked for the birds, although. Find them and you find the shad and the cats. If you get into a school you will catch fish.

Thanks for tip on bait Tommy. Im going the 12-15 so hopefully we can find some bait then or try our luck with cast net.

4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Spoke with Randolph's a few minutes ago and they have shad for bait, so it shouldn't be a problem on that area of the lake; the fishing is picking up, so all of the shops should have bait after this week.
    Try to locate schools of baitfish (shad), often on the flats 25-30' adjacent to deeper channels, then fish straight down. I use a 1-1/2 oz egg sinker, carolina style, drop to bottom, then reel up to keep the bait 1-2' off bottom.
    The timber along the north dike, as well as the flats along the old river bed in front of the dam. When you find the bait, the cats will usually be there in pretty good numbers.
    Good Luck, all!

5. flathead22

flathead22 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks for the info blackwaterkatz, do you know if the bite is doing better on marion or moultrie? will herring suffice as bait for the shad kill on marion? i am bringing a 20' cast net so where would be the better place to get bait...marion or hte dam at pinopolis?

6. big "E"

big "E" New Member

State:
    SC
    Thank you very much for the informative post.I spent probably a thousand dollars last year traveling to santee to fish and only caught one 20lb blue for all my troubles.I have no problem catching fish on my home lake , especially catfish.But the lakes down there are so big and if you dont know where to start , your'e screwed.We always stayed at Randolphs and if you ask the guy at the desk that runs the place about reports his reply is always the same."The guides are doing well right now , would you like to hire a guide?" $300 is a lot to pay after having to spend all the other money associated with a trip like that.Plus I dont feel like I accomplished my goal if some guy hands me the rod and says reel it in.Kinda reminds me of me with my kids.Anyway , thanks again for the tips .I'll post our results on Monday when we return.

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I haven't tried catching bait at the Marion dam, but they should be there, too same as pinopolis. The shad are pretty cheap to buy, put like 2 on a hook usually. The cut herring will work, too, but I think shad may be better overall.
    I don't usually drift fish in the upper lake, too many stumps, unless I get on some of the flats where I know it is pretty clean, mostly along the river channel edge.

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Forgot to answer your question: Which is better?
    I haven't tried them on Marion, only going by second-hand info, but the bite is supposedly getting better. I hope to go up there tomorrow.
    I think probably the best bet is on Moultrie right now, and potentially larger fish, too. Maybe I can tell you more after tomorrow.

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    How many members do we have fishing the tournament out of Santee State Park this weekend? I know Roundhill is going, but how about some others?
    I probably won't make it, but I'd sure like to hear some reports from up there. The cats should be starting to move up into that area real soon, if they haven't already.

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm gonna be in it.

11. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Ok, how did it go? Got pretty wet and nasty here at home. Chrisblue, roundhill, any reports?