Santee Cooper Lake

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by duc dowg, Jul 29, 2007.

1. duc dowg

duc dowg New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey! I'm new here and I have some questions. I am going to Santee for the first time in a few weeks. I am trying to find some tips for good fishing. Like what are some good baits and where are some good spots? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am from Anderson and this is a long way to go not to catch anything. LOL

2. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Bryan, it would help a little if you said which lake you were going to try, and how long you were going to stay. Never being on the santee before I would suggest hiring a guide the first day or even for a half day trip. They will explain the lakes to you and you will get to see just how they rig, bait up, and fish, this will be the best spent investment you could make. You didn't say if or how big a boat you have because right now in the summer the wind and storms can come up REAL QUICK and the lakes can get VERY DANGERUS IN A HURRY!!!!

3. duc dowg

duc dowg New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks. We are staying at blacks for 3 days. I guess we will try the lower lake. I have a 25 ft pontoon.

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bryan I fished in marion this weekend and the fish were in deeper water. Let us know if you are planning on fishing at night or day.

5. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    When fishing a new body of water I like to go with a local guide the first time. Usually a half day trip will work. Watch especially how the guide rigs the tackle, how much weight and leader length are very important. Then of course try to remember how to get to the area you were catching fish in. DON'T take a GPS unit with you, most guides don't allow them.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    What I would do is go to the search button at the top of the page and type in Santee and you will come up with more fishing info than you care to read or go to the state section.Pirate Jerry gave you the best advice if you havent fished there much.When you get to Blacks talk to Kevin Davis the owner,he will steer you straight.:big_smile:

7. duc dowg

duc dowg New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks guys! We will be fishing at night mostly. The guide sounds like a good idea.

8. Beaufort

Beaufort New Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I mostly fish the upper lake at night this time of year but shallow water for blues usually works around islands or cypress clumps with muscle beds or snails on them usually work. I like fishing shallow around harrys and if the blues aren't tearing it up u can flathead fish the canal with live white perch. There is plenty of good shallow water around blacks I haven't fished it this time of year but i would guess it would be good.

9. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Bryan make sure to keep a close eye on the weather. Moultrie can get real rough in a hurry, make sure you have a weather band radio with you.
    If you plan on getting a guide there are a few good ones fishing out of Blacks. If you are looking to fish deep water there is quite a bit of deep water from marker 18 to 13. I caught some fish there wednesday fishing during the day before the wind blew us off the lake. Becareful and good luck.

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    fish the area to the right of the channel markers around 23 and back towards blacks for blues at night. there is a deep ditch that runs back towards the hacttery area. fish the shallow side of that ditch or the blacks landing side of it drifting and you will catch fish. too many boats in that area in that tournament this weekend. the blues are feeding shallow at night and working back to the ledges in the daytime. those big gutted blues are feeding on mussles and clams out of the shallows right now. not much blues action in deep water for us saturday night. if you want flatheads move to deeper water 30-40 ft around structure. wish i had knew all this last saturday night but we was hard headed and i will be the next trip too.:wink: i like the deep water flats best right now. just hard to locate them and bad weather patterns will shut them down. we did catch several fish in the 15-20 lb blues in this area early sunday morning. keep in mind thing change fast as i saw this past weekend. also i marked a fair amount of bait in this area which is a good sign to look for at santee. get you a hots spots map also and use it to locate good ledges to drift. herring,shad,white perch and bream for bait plus anything else you can get them to bite. watch them skies at night too. good luck!

11. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the BOC Bryan!!!! You will enjoy it here. We are all like one big family willing to help you in any way we can.

12. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I've heard of good fish coming from the west dike lately.Just heresay!LOL!:wink:

13. duc dowg

duc dowg New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    this site is great! Yall are very helpfull. Thanks again.

14. Cat Lady

Cat Lady New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I'm a new member as well. Everyone here is nice and willing to help in any that they can!!!! Glad to have you!!!:smile2:

15. duc dowg

duc dowg New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    By the way what is the "rep:" mean on the top right hand side of each post?