Santee Cooper Lake this weekend

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bruce edmunds, Feb 7, 2007.

1. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    coming to santee this weekend ,never been this time of year .how has the fishing been this past week?this is my first post, any help on any places to fish this yime of year would be a big help,they say the cats school up under bait this time of year.whats the water temp.? right now.will be fishing the upper and lower lakes .which ever ones the best.we will be fishing out of a 21 foot white starcraft walk through windshield.anybody see us give a holler! thanks BRUCE EDMUNDS GREENWOOD S C.

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I think I know you, we talked for about an hour one day at the Sportsmans Friend in Greenwood.You the one thats got the flames on your boat aint you?

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bruce, I wish I could give you a good report, but I just haven't had a chance to talk with anyone this week. However, the water temps are down around 45 deg, the coldest so far this year, and the baitfish should be balled up and into the winter time pattern. Where are you planning to stay? The upper lake should have some fish now, along the deep river channel, where the water drops off. You need a map with contours to find those spots. Find the schools of bait with your sonar, then anchor or drift the area with your baits carolina rigged, about 1-2' off bottom. This is the most popular method, using threadfin shad or herring.
    Ask questions and provide a little more detail about where you're staying, what equipment you have, as far as sonar and gps, if any, and someone will be glad to help.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    :0a25: :0a25: Bruce welcome to the BOC.Good to have you on board.:0a18: :big_smile_2:

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the BOC Bruce

6. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    thats me chris ,hows your guide bussiness doing?and how did you do in the last tournament at monty/

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Alright and alright on both.I cant talk about neither one on here yet because of the rules.I'm gone get things worked out so that Carolina Catmen trail can be talked about on here soon.I'm sending you a PM but I think you have to have 10 posts before you can look at it.

8. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    i hate rules, but i guess you have to do as they say , do you ever fish the hill for cats? caught some nice flat heads this past summer caught 5 between 30 @ 35 lbs .and blues and channels.we have been bringing in some nice stripes and hybes too this past month in littleriver on boards and free lines

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    No I still hadnt had a chance to try em down there.I've been hearin about the stripes and hybes though.Chris Williams has probably forgot who I am I hadnt been there in so long.

10. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    chris i will call you tomorrow and give you my # they wont let me send private replys yet.but i will call and get togeather sometimes .i can fish any time on weekends /

11. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    blackwaterkatz will be fishing with bluebacks alive and cut ,have a 30gal grayline bait tank,bringbait with us .will probaly put in at harrys,but will go to where ever the fish are.we run a lowrance 334 c color graph /gps /hotmaps .autopiolit windsock ,ect we aint short on stuff to fish with ,just need some general area in upper or lower lake to start with ,i dont wont ant secert holes ars anything ,just a general area thats good. front of dam,some channel ,bouymarker,island ,just some where to start?

12. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Bruce ,
    Welcome to BOC, Be sure to post about your trip, I'm trying to work it out for Monday, If I can find bait.

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Sounds like you have plenty of equipment, so just look along the river channels in front of the dam for bait, and go from there. The river turns back and forth but you can find the contours using your mapping program. Watch for submerged timber anytime you are out of the main channel, even if 40' of water there can be stumps just below the water.

Attached Files:

14. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    thanks chris. i got the email and enjoyed the tlk this afternoon. look forward to going fishing soon. thanks. bruce

15. CaTmAnDo55

CaTmAnDo55 New Member

State:
    florence, SC
    welcome to the boc i too am going to santee this saturday and i too am a winter santee rookie but me and my buddy bwill be putting in at randolphs
    were going to try our luck using cut shad and live herring were going to try deep water and hit the shallows. we'll be in a 16' flat bottom with a 60hp mariner if your up that way look for three frozen nutcases

16. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I would defitnately try the little river area and dirrectly in front of the dam there should be alot of bait balled up there. Good luck I hope to get there during the week next week. Let me know how yall do.

17. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    wewillbe putting at harrys ,we will be fishing up around the dam ,and around the channel edges .it will be 3 of us ,if you see us give a shout bruce

18. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    wewillbe putting at harrys ,we will be fishing up around the dam ,and around the channel edges .it will be 3 of us ,if you see us give a shout bruce

19. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    blackwaterkatz thankyou for all your help bruce

20. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    blackwaterkatz where can i get a map with detail like that? bruce