Santee Cooper, Lake Moultrie

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by blackwaterkatz, Jul 31, 2006.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    We drifted the west side of the lake with whole fresh herring today. The wind was weak, so the drifts were slow. In 2-1/2 hours or so of fishing, we ended up with 8 blues from 3 - 23#'s, and missed a number of fish, a few of them were gars, though. The biggest fish was caught on nightcrawlers, and not herring. :lol:
    If the wind had been just a little stronger, I really think we would have caught more. I marked quite a few on the depth finder as we drifted.

2. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Well, I took the 10 y/o grandson today. Same pattern of strong winds from the s-w early, white caps, so we went closer to shore in 12' of water and drifted without results until about 9:30 after the winds calmed down. Moved out to deeper water, but now the winds aren't strong enough to drift effectively. :roll_eyes: Anyway, we tuffed it out, one way and another until the 99+ degree heat finally shut us down around 1pm or so. Managed to put 6 fish in the boat, most of them channel cats today. Tyler caught a 16#'er, his pb. He doesn't get to go with me too often, so her was thrilled, and ready to come home and email the pics to his mom at work. :smile2:
    We had a lot of misses today, mostly gar. Most of the fish we landed came from ~ 30' of water again, on fresh herring. Soon as I can, I'm going to try to get in some night fishing, this heat is terrible on an old fella like me. LOL

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Sounds like a couple of great fishing trips. I would be excited to show off my PB too.

4. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Almost forgot, Tyler wanted me to post his fish pics. Said that's his birthday gift. He'll be eleven on sunday....

Attached Files:

5. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Couldn't get this to load earlier. OK, Tyler, job is done, buddy.:tounge_out:

Attached Files:

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thats good to see grandpaw still taking the grandkids fishing. thats how i got started and been hook every since. although my grandpaw would have bet me half to death over that fish....lol.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

nice looking fish. I bet you had as much fun watching himcatch it as he did catching it.

8. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thats A Super fish the Grandson cought I bet your as Proud of it as he must be! Thanks for sharing the story and pictures Tommy. Rep. points to You Sir from Iowa. J.D.Straka. :big_smile:

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, John.
    I didn't put a single fish in the boat. :sad2: I let him catch them all, then I teased him when he got ready to leave; told him he'd caught all the fish, and now I couldn't catch any.
    I love to take someone that doesn't get to go very often, and just watch them catch fish, but especially children. I've caught plenty in my life, if I never get another one. Just try to turn someone else on to fishing, it's a special pleasure.

10. jk888

jk888 Member

State:
    GA
    I agree I enjoy anyone catching fish on my boat.

11. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    congrats on the fishing trip. good to see kids catching them big fish. i know i cant wiat til my girls are old enough to go fishing so they can outfish there old man. :lol:

12. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Sounds like the kid had fun. What's the fishing like at Santee in April. My cousin has rented a cabin for a trip there, and sounds like whole herring is a good bait. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

13. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good report. Looke like you all had fun.

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Jack, the fishing is good in April. The cats are moving into the shallows then. They can be caught drifting, or anchoring with lines spread out around the boat, using herring or shad. White perch is good, too, but I have a little trouble catching enough when the water is cooler. Really, there is no bad month on santee cooper, it's just that some are better than others.

15. deerkilla

deerkilla New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    great catch. bet that boy had fun.