Santee Cooper Lake Canal

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by CKT, Feb 16, 2007.

1. CKT

CKT Member

State:
    Winston-Salem,NC
    Is the Canal on santee a good place to catch big cats ? new to the lake any advice would help!

2. maddkatz22

maddkatz22 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the area! We fish the canal from Harry's fish camp and the fishing is good from Harry's to the right along the dam out through the dead forest and from the left side into the canal and into Moultire the FISHING is good and there have been alot of big fish come out of there. You will find several landings in that area. Good luck with your fishing!!!!!

3. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    The canal is one of the best places to fish in the world if you want a chance at the trip of a lifetime. When the water is moving in early spring-mid summer I would definately say that the canal is hard to beat.Fishing the canal can be much easier than the lakes because it is sheltered from the wind most of the time.Try it you just might get spoiled.I think it is a seasonal waterway and the fishing gets slim in the late fall and winter.

4. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    If you are new to the lakes dont be bashful about seeking advice. I have seen many props torn up because people take a shortcut on water and dont follow the marked running channels.Harrys Fish Camp staff as well as Randolphs Landing were very helpful to me in my early days.The place I see a lot or trouble is at the upper end of the canal when people try to turn right towards Harrys as soon as they see the lights over there after dark when returning from Moultrie or down the canal.

5. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    welcome ctk the canal can be very good from june through end of july.better if pulling water.we catch them floating corks set 27 feet deep.using jewels,stinkbait.the seceret is to keep moving .bruce

6. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
  7. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    The few times I've fished Santee. We always went into the canal to try to get out of the wind and I've caught several good flaheads from the canal. Never caught a blue in there, only flatheads, but darn good ones. this was around September, early fall.

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Its about the best bet to stay out of the wind but I've only fished it once. I caught a channel cat the one time I fished there.

9. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    My 2 cents on the canal..........compared to many bodies of water (maybe your home lake or mine), it looks like a good opportunity. A guide told me recently to remember, there are more hooks dropped in this section of the lakes than anywhere else. Somebody has to score. I've fished with many guides in both lakes at Santee. Assuming the winds don't keep you off the main lakes, fishing in Marion or Moultrie will give you better opportunity to have a great day fishing. That said, you must consider your experience level before going onto these lakes. If this is going to be one of your first visits to the lakes, I highly recommend using a guide. With everything I've learned from them over the years, I now feel pretty comfortable, and have been successful fishing the main lakes. I normally fish the canal only on windy days or in the Summertime when storms are in the area. Good Luck!!