Santee Cooper Lake bound

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by MUDHOLE KID, Apr 15, 2007.

1. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    We'll the crew is heading down this week till the weekend. I haven't heard any good (GREAT) reports. They was wearing fish out at the first of the month and they were shallow, but this weather has screwed them up. I've talked to several people that was down this past week and they struggled. I hope we have enough boats in our party to find a pattern. If anybody has any info I'll take it. I was hoping to fish the trees , but it sounds like it may not be productive, so I may sit in the trusty canal, probally will anyway. I always have pretty good luck in the upper part . Anyway, if ya'll hear any reports pass them on down, I know secrets are hard to share.Alright Regulators,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Let's Ride!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good luck, Joey. Are you staying at Harry's this time? I haven't heard any really good reports lately from that area, but then I haven't had a chance to talk with many people either. They should still be shallow, though.

3. Joey, i'm not sure if you saw this post from an earlier thread,but hope it helps.
    "Alright heres my report. fished from 3 am -8am today around island 16 (lake marion).
    caught 10 cats ranging from 5-18 lbs w/ 5 of them over 10 lbs.
    had great time. All were caught w/ cut herring in 2-4 feet deep anchored.
    Awesome fight in shallow and most were caught w/ the medium action
    rods which made it that much better.Beautiful night for fishing. only thing missing was some good coffee.:roll_eyes: shallow is the way to go.
    only bad thing was all the bass boats(about 20) blowing by us at daybreak. didn't catch another fish after they tore up the water but,
    pretty good 10 fish by my standards anyway.:big_smile:"
    [​IMG]

4. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Hey men , Thanks. Yeah Tommy well all be at Harry's by Thursday night, Friday morning for sure, got to have some eggs and bacon. I'm gonna hit the trees just for sake of doing so. As the ol' saying goes, I'll try and make it happen. If you all are around this weekend I'll be in that trusty white and teal Javelin. Pull up a chair and have a cup of jo.

5. klemsontigers7

klemsontigers7 New Member

State:
    SC
    joey good luck in the shallows but it looks like it may be a little too cold for that this week, maybe by the time you get down there it will be starting to warm back up

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Well, I know you've made it happen there before, Joey, so I will look for a report later. My work schedule probably won't allow me to get by there on friday for breakfast, but if it does, I'll join you. :smile2:

7. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    I'm planning on going to Harry's on saturday I have a room for Saturday and Sunday night. Hope to see you down there.

8. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Hey Ron, if you see a white surban towing a white and javelin look us up, We'll be in room 1 at Harry's

9. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Joey I'll look for you. I'll be in a dark blue Dodge Dakota with a old 24' harris pontoon it has Mud Bucket wrote on the front but the wife may change that by Saturday. Planning on getting in Saturday afternoon I'm thinking of stopping in at Packs Landing early saturday morning on the way down and trying it there. Does anyone know what kind bait Harry's or Ned's has?

10. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Talked to Brad today and he said Harry' has a few small herring and some of the bid saltwater herring. I think he said the big ones was 24.00 a dozen

11. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    You can get 5 to 8 peices of bait out of the ocean herring so you actually get your moneys worth.They bleed like a stuck hog too.

12. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    How big are them saltwater herring? I get them at Badin that are around 14" long sometimes and they work good. This is the same species of fish right, some are just in the ocean. I don't get that. How did they get in all the lakes around here. Badin near me is full of 'em. The ones you get at Ned's are babies compared to what I get up here in NC. If you get herring up here, they are big, the only place around here that I've caught little ones like that is Lake Norman. Thanks guys!

13. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    I like using the ocean herring but should be able to catch some white perch too use also. Joey how long will you be down at Harry's?

14. I got herring from ned's last weekend. He always has good bait there.
    He only has the 3-5" size herring for $7.00 dollar per dozen. He says he can't get the ocean herring anymore. When i caught my fish last weekend
    i used some whole and some cut in half.The cut in half pieces worked much better.

15. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Those could be Hickory Shad. They look alot alike, but hickory are different

16. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The Santee General Store had the big ones when I went through there about a month ago.That would be the place to go if you are fishing the upper part of Marion.

17. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I bought some from Santee General 1-1/2 wks back ($15/doz), but they didn't think they were going to get any more. The herring have pretty much spawned out and are working back downstream, so are harder to come by. Might want to call around...

18. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Anyone else planning on being around Harry's this weekend? Don't know whattime Saturday I'll be there but will be around until Monday.

19. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    me and foxhound are going to upper end of marion thursday to sunday staying at populare creek

20. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Hi Ron its good to hear from you. How have you been? I might meet some friends up at Packs early Saturday morning if I do I'll holler for you on the radio. Are you usually on channel 68 or 69?