Santee Cooper in May

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by gunny169, Apr 18, 2007.

1. gunny169

gunny169 New Member

State:
    Jacksonville, N
    There are a few of us from NC, that will be staying at the navy rec area during may. And I was wondering how the fishing will be during the middle of may from your pass experiences? We have not fished the Santee before. what bait would be a good choice? And without giving any of your secret holes away. What would be a good area to start looking for fish? Actually any help would be appreciated. thanks for your help. :0a31:

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Arey you will be staying in the right place. Between short stay and the pinnopolis dam is a wonderful place to fish where the water levels change alot. Right of the shore of bonnuea beach is also a good place to fish. As far as bait you should be able to catch plenty of threadfin shad in the cast net and catch lots of white perch anywhere around the docks. Good luck and send us a good report.

3. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    May is a great time to fish at Santee and you are in a good location also. Find some water from about 6-18 feet deep in the lake and fish there.On the west side of Lake Moultrie you can usually catch plenty of good cats using cut herring on a drift rig. Any tackle shop should be able to show you how to rig one up. If you want to fish at night try to catch some brim or white perch and use them on about half of your rods with cut herring on the others.I would recommend if you are not familar with the lakes that you get a lake map and get familar with where you are traveling on the water. Lake Moultrie can get rough in a hurry and if you are very far away when it does just find a landing nearby and wait it out.The canal offers safe refuge from most storms as well. Good luck and be careful.If you need any other help or have more questions you can P.M. ME and I will write back.

4. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    If you work on the base come by Bldg 54 and ask for me.I'll give you some tips.:big_smile:

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    me and a couple buddies were thinking about making a trip down in may also...we don't have a boat but heard the diversion canal has an endless bank thats very fishable........is the canal a decent bank spot?

6. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    "try and catch some brim or white perch"

Hate to be dumb but I'm not familiar with the term "white perch". What is this?

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Travis its a small brim that looks just like a miniture white bass.Very effective bait for drifting or setup for flatheads.BASSMASSEY The canal of which you speak has endless banks but can be difficult to get to the waters edge.None the less it is an excellent place to fish and many big ones have been caught from there.:smile2:

8. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Thanks for the information.

Is this the fish I have heard referred to at Santee as Virginia Perch?? I have used them for bait after catching them on worms. They look just like a White Bass. Never heard them called "White Perch".

9. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Yeah thats the same fish.

10. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    BassMassey the Re-Diversion canal in St. Stephens has clear banks on both sides for miles and no boats allowed.The diversion canal has alot of bank access but not quite like the Re diversion.

11. The Penn Slammer

The Penn Slammer New Member

State:
    Princeton, West
    That is the same fish but here in West Virginia I have never seen a Virginia Perch or on any of my trips to Virginia.We do have the yellow perch known to me as the Tiger Perch also.

12. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Let me know the dates you will be at Short Stay. I will also be there in the middle of May maybe I can help you out.