Santee Cooper August 31st-Sept 1st

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Aug 27, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Anyone fishing the lake on Friday the 31st and Saturday the 1st?

Mudkip and myself will be down there with some other folks. If anyone else is heading down for Labor Day weekend please drop me or Mudkip a PM!

:wink:

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Where are you guys gonna be, Dieter? Just in case. I don't know about the weekend, but I do hope to get on the water there one afternoon later in the week, probably Wed or Thurs. I haven't been out in a month or more for catfish, now, and my freezer is empty.

3. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Blacks Camp...we should get in Thursday night :wink:

4. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    dieter water was low at blacks last weekend. couple boats got pulled off the sand bar. might want to put in the canal to avoid the wrecker truck.:eek:oooh: we going to the flea market in hillesville with some hot momas......:smile2: gotta keep the momas happy to see the good winter time bite ya know.:wink: good luck to you fellows.

5. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the heads up on that!! Wheres that sand bar? I am not familiar with the area.

6. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Just got off the phone with 3 fish camps on the canal

Blacks reports "No problems at my ramp"

Hills Landing "30 foot pontoon just launched, water is down 3 feet"

Canal Lakes "no problems"

The guy at Blacks seemed a little defensive on the telephone. I really don't understand why. Good communication skill is a very good thing to have in the service industry. That is not good for business.:angry:

Maybe Catfishrus knows something beside what he is reporting at Blacks.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    With the water down 3 ft some of the ramps are going to get touchy.Hills extended theres last drought so they should be ok, along with Canal Lakes.Blacks ramp is probably ok but getting out to the canal might be tricky.!!!!!:wink:Harrys is a pain at low water cause you have to stay to left side (facing it) to get deep enough water although they do have another ramp.The best ramp in my opinion is the John C Land ramp above Randolphs but that is a long way to go to get back to the fishing.Hopefully it will rain and put some water back in.:smile2:

8. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    dieter the ramp ant the prob at blacks its getting to the canal you have to be planed out to get out on the sand bar maybe 18in of water in some places they want say anything becouse they want the money if i wer you i whould stay at canal lakes

9. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    Depends on your boat/trailer. If you need much depth to get it off the trailer Black's is not a good option right now, and you will have to trim the motor up just to make it to the Canal. I'd suggest you stick with the Canal unless the water comes up a little in the next day or 2.

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    exactly what roundhill said. no problem at blacks i love that place but there was several boats that got stuck going to the canal last weekend dad said. matter fact a guy came up to him and said he wouldnt launch the boat there as dad was fixing to do. he was the one that pulled a couple boats off the sand bar going towards the canal. that water is not deep at full pond 3-5ft. i have never had problems launching my 18 ft boat though. its just getting to the canal once the water is down. blacks is a good place to stay and safe for the most part. im just not one for dragging my lund across the bottom if you get my drift.:wink: i see folks blast out across there at full pond too.....not me. the foot on my motor is 4 years old and still looks new. dad said they was remodeling canal lakes and thought maybe it had been sold? dont know for sure. just seen construction but thats where he lunched at. so i would stay at blacks and launch at canal lakes myself.

11. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the heads up on that!

To summarize, the ramps are fine, getting to fishable water may be impossible.... :roll_eyes:

12. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Hey mucho thanks guys!! If the ramp is ok I think I can manage the shallows in my boat with the motor up and going slow. I always ease out esp at the mouth of the canal. Thought something was a little fishy though--makes a lot of sense what you saif Roundhill!

13. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    The lakes here are 2' + low and dropping an inch or so per day. Stop by Wylie and bring a few buckets full when you guys come, ok?:wink:
    Once you get on the open water you'll be ok, just keep an eye out for stumps and such like always. Moultrie isn't as bad as Marion is, but use caution, all the same, and enjoy.

14. duc dowg

duc dowg New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    WE stayed at blacks on Aug 9-12. The water is low but you can get in and out. When you put in at the ramp there is a creek bed that runs from near the ramp to the canal. Stay just to the right of the bouy go straight toward the opening into the canal. There is a island at about 11 o'clock. In the water to the right of the island there is a pole, stay to the right of it and go straight to the opening. If you have a depth finder you can find it. Blacks is a nice safe place. I will be going back! I don't know the name of the place but its the one on the left side of the bridge (facing the canal) I think its been sold or something we stopped there for gas in the boat and they had some signs up.

15. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    If yall just take a bass boat down there with you, yall want have any problems because they are invisible, they can ride thru stumps, at least thats what the drivers of them think anyway.:smile2: Just be sure to get a full faced helmet so yall can look cool like they do.

Just remimber when you move to another area you cant go any slower than 60 mph.

16. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    As a matter of fact, my bud Chris is bringing his Ranger. He does respect the water though!!

17. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    good luck on your trip dieter and rodger,hope yall get into some nice uns,be safe in these low water conditions and dont forget your camera,you know we want to see the results,not just here about em:wink:

18. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    "...Stop by Wylie and bring a few buckets full when you guys come, ok...."

We ain't got no water to spare!!! I caught 30 bream today for bait on the trip and it dropped the lake another inch!!!!!!!!! :tounge_out:

19. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    you better take some of that magic bait with you.....white perch. naw bream will work. i didnt use them not one time this year though. i had one last year that i caught 7 fish on in the carolina catmen tour. down there. couldnt get another one to save my life that day.....lol. them santee bream are smart sometimes.:smile2: of coarse if i was to get one nice crappie i would throw everything else back. crappie head off a 2lber......good bait for big fish!:wink:

20. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    We will provide a detailed report. I think it is gonna be a good weekend:wink: