Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...new guy here on the forum. Took my 11yr old son to Santee Sunday and fished the diversion canal. Only caught 2 the entire day. 1 on chicken liver and the other on stink bait. We tried cut bait also, but didn't get the first hit, which really surprised me.

I have fished the canal only 4 times now and have yet to venture out in either of the lakes. Any suggestions for setting him up on some fish this weekend? He actually caught both of the ones from Sunday and he is really wanting to go back this weekend. I'd love to be able to set him up on a good one!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you are going to fish the canal set up on the bank, throw your bait out, and let the current wash it up to the shore line. Wait about 30 minutes if you don't have any takers pull on your anchor until it comes loose. By the time you get it to catch and hold again you will probably be 100 feet or so down stream. Put your bait out again. Repeat this until you catch some. You can also go up towards Harry's and fish the forest. Be careful and move slow. Whatever you do keep trying new spots if they aren't biting. The bite is much better in the canal when they are pulling water. There is a number to call to find out when the plant is running. Don't know it off of the top of my head, someone on here probably does. You can drift the canal too if you have a trolling motor. Use heavy weight and straightline em. Reel the weight about three feet off of the bottom with a dropper loop about two feet about the weight.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you have never been out on those lakes, I would recommend going with a guide or someone who knows the lakes the first time or two at least. If you have a good sonar/gps combo with up to date map, you could go out on Moultrie a little.( If the wind is not too bad), but I wouldn't venture too far from the main channel. There are many hazardous areas that are not marked. With the high water, both lakes have trees that are just below the surface( you can't see them, but you will hit them).When the wind gets up, those lakes can be very unforgiving, even for a veteran who knows his way around. That being said, use your judgement & be careful. Mark

p.s. I will most likely be going tonight for the weekend. I'll send you a pm when I know for sure. If you want, I'll be glad to help you all I can.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Get in touch with Ron Howard "roundhill" an let him take you out and definutly bring the boy along you'll not make any better investment. He'll not only show How but Where to get on some good cats and do it safely.
Those lakes can get real ugly real quick in the summer time because they are so open to the wind.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
If you are going to fish the canal do it at night. I have been fishn it for many yrs and never done any good in the day time. I have seen others drift fish the canal using stink bait (bumping bottom and do real good during daylight hrs) but the fish i target are usually caught at night on the chanel ledges. Some folks use hearing, shad, bream, perch, cut or alive. The head part usually gets the fish. Get some night crawlers go out in the middle of the canal(early morning or afternoon) and fish on bottom to catch the perch. Put your lead on the bottom with 2 hooks above it and sometimes you can catch 2 perch at a time. The bream can be caught right off the docks or close to the bank up and down the canal. If you want to buy your bait you can get it at just about any one of the places on the canal but getting them worms will be far cheaper and much more fun. Not to mention that you will probably catch bigger fish. Don't be surprized if you catch a 10-12lb catfish on the worms.
On another note the fish always bite better when they are pulling water. Good luck and also take the advice of these guys, if you don't know the lake, hire a guide. If the wind is blowing pretty bad, stay in the canal

·
Registered
19 Posts
A fishing buddy of mine always goes to the end of canal about 75 to 100 yards up from moultrie end and sets up on oppisite side from camps and usually does really well. he gets the herring and cuts them and puts on carolina rig at night time. hope this helps be really careful if you go out into lake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.