Santee catfish drifting rig

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mark29860, Apr 18, 2008.

1. mark29860

mark29860 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I fished Santee last year with a guide,best I can remember his rig was a swivel tied to his main line off the swivel was a drifting sinker and about a 2 ft. leader then about 6 inches above the hook he had a small cork. I will be heading back down there soon and would like to know if thats the rig most people use who drift. thanks for the info

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thats how most people I know do it.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    That is indeed the basic rig.Variations are pretty much within the type of sinker.The corks are readily available at Walmart.The best type of sinker in my opinion at least ,is the soft flexible type.Trust me when I tell you I have tried them all and the flexible snags the least.More important is the ability to control your drift speed which you can do with drift socks.Have fun!!!!!:big_smile:

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    A GOOD WAY TO DRIFT IS USE A THREE SWIVEL WITH A18" LEADER FOR THE HOOK AND USE A SMALL LINE WITH 1/4oz EGG SINKERS UNTIL YOU HAVE YOU DESIRE WEIGHT THIS NORMLEY WILL ROLL OVER HANG UPS,
    GOOD LUCK AND HOPES THIS HELPS:wink::smile2:

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Cigar Floats/Drifting/Snake Weights - We have a lot of good luck dragging baits 30 to 100 ft. behind the boat. Whether we are drifting with the wind or using the trolling motor this method will produce a lot of fish. Sometimes while drifting we will be dragging baits behind the boat on the bottom, pulling slip corks and also rigging poles fishing straight under the boat at the same time. You can cover a lot of area as well as different depths at the same time.
    Rigging - We use what is called a basic Santee drifting rig. I use 2 oz. Snake weights that I make using 1/4 oz egg sinkers a swivel and 15 lb. Line. The line on your weight needs to be light enough that it will break relatively easy if it hangs. To make the weights tie a log length of line to your swivel then slide on 8 1/4 oz. Egg sinkers. On the last sinker wrap the line through and around the last sinker pulling the sinkers tight together. Wrap 5 or 6 times then crimp the last sinker down on the line with a pair of pliers. I will use 3 ft. leaders for this style of fishing and 1.5 to 2 inch cigar floats. 1st slide your drifting weight onto your main line (snake weight or weight that you use) followed by a bead. Now make your 3 ft. leader and tie it to your swivel. Now attach the swivel to your main line. Slide your cigar float onto your leader then tie on the hook of your choice. Peg the cigar float about 5 inches from your hook. As you drag the bait along the only thing that will contact the bottom will be your weight. The cigar float will keep your bait suspended up off the bottom. For best results drift at .5 mph or less.