Santee - Canal and Moultrie

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by kaccat, Oct 24, 2005.

1. kaccat

kaccat New Member

State:
    Martinsville, VA
    Coming down this weekend from Virginia to wet a few lines in the canal and lower lake - anybody having any luck? Been planning this for a couple of months and I'm wondering if the cold weather this week will turn the fishing off.

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I don't think it will hurt at all.Should help the striper fishing and start concentrating the baitfish.Hopefully they will be pulling water for you.The lake came up a foot recently with some much needed water which should have improved the bite.Call Kevin Davis at Blacks and he will give you good scoop as to whats biting on what bait.

3. TrophyCat

TrophyCat New Member

State:
    Berea,Ky
    Fished from the 18th-23rd of last week. Small ones were bait stealing and pecking us to death. Colder weather will help, water temp was 73-76 all week. Didn't see any stripers schooling yet, the birds were looking though. Alot of small 5-15 lbs caught by myself and alot of the guides. A few big fish thrown in on some. Didn't talk to any canal fishers so I can't comment about that.

Good luck on your trip, I'm coming back down for Thanksgiving and more fishing and should do better as the water will have cooled down by then.

4. kaccat

kaccat New Member

State:
    Martinsville, VA
    Thanks - I'll post back here when I get back. Does anyone know how I could check to see when they are pulling water through the canal?

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Kaccat, if you call the Santee Cooper Lakes Information line (1-800-92LAKES), the recording will give you the total inflows, lake levels, and discharges at the Jeffries (Moncks Corner) and St. Stephen power plants, as well as the generation times. It is updated at 10 AM daily, not always done on the weekends, tho. Hope this will help you.

6. kaccat

kaccat New Member

State:
    Martinsville, VA
    Thanks - I'll give them a call.

7. kaccat

kaccat New Member

State:
    Martinsville, VA
    Went down this past Thursday (10/27) and came back Monday (10/31) - fished the lower lake and had decent luck - caught a total of about 40 fish - most in the 5 pound range. Biggest was 20 lbs. Used cut herring and shad. Most of the fish were in about 30 feet of water.

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hey, thanks for the report. I was wondering how your luck went..that wasn't a bad trip, even though I'm sure you would have liked a few big ones. Did you try the shallows any at all? I had intended to go this morning, but the wind forecast didn't look too good, with this front moving through. Decided to wait until later in the week.

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I sure wish I could fish down there someday, it has always been my dream location!

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Flathunter;Forget it,your wife is already taking out ads on you for all that fishing equipment you've been hiding from her.(See thread on addiction).However since I feel sorry for a man that has to hide his stuff,if you can get to my house I'll take you to Santee and show you around.Won't cost you nothing except getting here,that way you can buy more fishing stuff.

11. kaccat

kaccat New Member

State:
    Martinsville, VA
    Tried the shallows for a while the first day with no luck - all the people coming in with fish were drifting in 27-34 feet of water, so we went with that. One guy had 5 fish of about 100 pounds. We also didn't hear of anyone catching any stripers, but the birds were real active down around Bonneau and we saw massive schools of baitfish on the fish finder.

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Good info, Kaccat. Thanks

Flathunter, that offer Jim made is a mighty fine one. If you pass it up, you will probably always regret it, cause I know he can put you on some fish.