Santee Camping Trip

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Swamp Angel, May 4, 2009.

1. Swamp Angel

Swamp Angel New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Took a weekend this past to have a father/son/grandpa/bro in law camping trip. Left the lakehouse Friday morn and set up camp on Pine Island. Beautiful sandbar sheltered from the SW winds that blew the entire weekend. Had my 5 year old, this was his first rodeo and he loved being introduced to the great outdoors. Set up camp and put out 9 rods with cut whie perch and cut herring in the water at 1:00 PM. WE got our first bite at 7pm and landed a nice 7lb blue. That was the last fish we caught until Sat night at 7. Wedrifted and anchored during the day on Sat with no luck. Got invaded by the redneck yacht club on Sat afternoon but they didn't stay long. Had a good trip, good outdoor cooked food, and quality time turning a youngster into an outdoorsman. Water temps were from 76 to 81. Wind blew out of the SW at 10 to 30 knots at times.Fishing was slow but time out with my boy was invaluable. Whoever the bass fisherman was that buzzed 50 feet from my boat Sat wide open, I hope you took the finger seriously, too bad you didn't turn around.

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    thanks for the report sounds like yall had a great weekend fishing like me though not much catching :wink:

3. Swamp Angel

Swamp Angel New Member

State:
    S.C.
    If the fishing would have been good it would have been perfect. But you know, there are people who are in much worse shape than me who would have loved to have traded places. My son enjoyed his first, and is eager to go back, so mission accomplished. I often wonderif Lake Marion is simply down on numbers of fish. With the harvest that takes place there, it would not surprise me.

4. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    For some reason(wind/weather/moon/???) the bite seemed real slow Saturday. We fished all day in the Fishing for Mission tournament out of Blacks and picked op 11 fish total but no size on any. 17 lb was big one. Really slow for blues. But you had the best of times with your son and for me it was spending the day with 7 year old grandson. He had great time. Keep that young one fishing.