Santee Bound

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by MUDHOLE KID, Sep 29, 2005.

1. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Packed up,gased up,geared up,I'm heading that way.I'm waiting on my newphew to get here and we're heading out.I should be out of here by 3 or 330.Plans are to fish the upper part of the canal tonight and go from there.If the wind is'nt outrageous we may fish the upper lake tomorrow night ,all depends.I have set in the canal fopr 3 day at the same spot and pulled fish in all 3 days so we'll see. I'll report back in sometime Sunday night or Monday.I hear the water is down,I just hope they're letting the water rip. :D

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Where do you plan to stay, Mudhole?
    Good Luck!!!

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Mud,they drew the lake down in anticipation of the two hurricanes and hadn't had any rain as of last Sun.They aren't pulling any water so the canal is slow as far as current.The water temp is 80 but fish are being caught.Good luck wish I was there.

4. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    First off I'd like to say ,Tommy it was nice meeting you.I enjoyed our chat.Jim the water was too slow all 3 nights.We caught several nice fish with the biggest being 31lbs.We caught fish Thursday and Friday night.Sat., night was terrible.I wish they had pulled water a little more but you never know.I can't plan my trips around generation . Anyway it was a good trip and my nephew had a good time ,He let two large fish off so he knows he missed his chance.I'll head back soon maybe Dec.Caught all the fish but 2 or 3 on live bream,we fishe herring ,but the live bream was the ticket :D

5. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Same here, Mudhole Kid. Wish we had had more time, so I could pick your brain some about tactics for those big flatheads. LOL
    I'm glad your nephew enjoyed his trip, and maybe next time conditions will be a lot better. Most of the folks I've talked with this past week were having a tough time catching.

6. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Mud were you fishing in the canal?In any case that is some good fishing considering how difficulat its been lately.I'm probably going down in Oct.Tommy we fished with Kevin on Thurs and didn't do a whole lot but he showed us a spot where they dumped the old lock doors when they repaired them recently and we caught a nice 30+ and a 15 on blood bait.The Iowa guys had given him a bunch from the King Kat tourney and we tried it all day.He gave me some and we tried it day and night and didn't get anything on it.It is a mess to use and smells terrible but they catch fish on it.This wasn't cured or anything just coagulated so it was hard to keep it on the hook but it satisfied my curiosity for all time.It gets all over everything no matter how careful you are.The lock doors make a good structure and I'm sure there are a lot of fish set up on them including some good flatheads.I'm going to try and fish them some more when I get a chance.

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That's interesting about the site where the lock doors are. I'm not sure what the structure would consist of, though, I guess some of the replaceable parts, I haven't heard of them replacing the whole doors, but they may have. I want to fish in that area this winter, too, since I've never tried it before, so maybe when you come down I can get over there too.

8. MUDHOLE KID

MUDHOLE KID New Member

State:
    Anderson,S.C.
    Yeah we fished in the canal.I fish nights instead of days,and the water was rough about every night. Wind picked up around sunset every night.I know better to get out there in the mess. There's a couple holes in the canal thats aways been good to me.O" well maybe next trip I'll catch O' big boy.31lb isn't bad ,I'll take it',not my biggest by far but a nice fish to pay tug-of -war with. :D

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tommy evidently they replaced the big doors according to Kevin because it makes a big hump on the bottom.About 60'x60' Id say.It sits in about 26/28 ft of water and drops right off one side into 42'.I want to fish it more and see if there are any regulars hanging around it.I would think it would be prime winter structure.The drift socks I was talking about are at www.driftbag.com.Trying to figure out when to come in Oct.Weekend of 23 is spoken for or maybe come for 4/5days aroud Vets day in Nov.

10. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    jim let me know when your going an staying and i will plan a trip same time see if we can catch some big fish maybe get tommy to make some stew

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I'll post it here when I get some dates but if Tommy is making stew then whether we catch fish or not doesn't matter.YUMMMMMMMM

12. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Fish stew is not a problem, barring divine intervention. Just let me know when & where. We can always get skunked on the fishing, but if we do it on an empty stomach, then that's our fault!