Santee BOC rescue crew

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Cgoyette, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    What about starting a resuce crew for santee, like a vol fire dept.

BOC members sign up and post a phone number and if called and can help go and rescue a boat down.

Now I am not advocating rescue in lightning storm hurricane or anything that DNR should do but..

battery died, ran out of GAS, motor died, hung on big stump and cant get off.

If I am at my lake house I would go get a BOC member or anyone for that matter who hailed me on ch 68 ....I have a 128 foot antenna and can hear anyone anywhere on the lake. Or if they call my lake house phone number.

Its a thought and NEEDS allot more refinement but the basic concept is here.....what do you think.

and the boat tow proponents need not reply, I have those insurance also and they never seem to be able to do what you need when you need them.

Again post a thought we may be able to help each other.

Curt

2. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like a great idea, seeing that I am the one that got stranded :smile2:
    I do not live there, but maybe we could use a certain radio freq or post somewhere what dates we are going to be down with a contact phone number. Dunno, waiting for suggestions I guess

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Generally when we have a large BOC group ,like for breakfast Mem Day or we know others are down there,we exchange radio channels or agree to get on the same one to talk to each other.Cant imagine anyone not coming to a fellow boaters aid if necessary.Its a good idea but I'm not sure what you would be biting off.On the other hand would you consider delivering bait ,burgers and dogs?????:big_smile::smile2:I've always said someone is missing a bet by not having a big pontoon rigged out to cook burgers dogs,soda etc on an on call basis.Cant tell you what I would have paid for one at 3am during some of those long overnight tournaments.:big_smile::eek:oooh::crazy:pS I would call you to get a weather forecast though just not sure what your hours would be.Nice thought and appreciated,glad to know you are there.

4. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Curt 2-3 years ago in January My motor quit and I couldn't' get it cranked back up. I don't have a radio in my boat so I called BLACKS and they called out on their radio and put me and another boat together by cell phones for a tow back. BUT that was during the day thank goodness.

5. dknight

dknight New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    might even help if you get lost.....:eek:oooh:

6. dknight

dknight New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    lol, i wasn't telling on us, i was meaning in general, lmao

7. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I don't have much of a boat(rowboat) and I am seldom home (truck driver) but I wanna offer moral support! I think its a GREAT idea!!!

8. ash

ash New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i agree with you on that. i dont live on @ santee, but i do live on murry & would be able too help out.

9. ash

ash New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yea i do alot of catfishing on murry. my cell# 864-992-0874

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    This is all a good thing, of course, but we are all members with commitments that may keep someone from being available at any given time, and there aren't that many of us in close proximity to the lakes. It would take me an hour at best to get into the water from home.
    Keep in mind that there are local rescue squads all around the lake, and they are very well trained and equipped to handle water related rescue and searches, and are available with a cell phone call, or patch through to someone with a radio, such as the local tackle stores and guides. GPS coordinates are almost a necessity to help someone locate you on the big water at night, too.

11. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    You could fly fyour B.O.C. flag while going to the rescue!!

Attached Files:

12. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Tommy,

Do the local rescue monitor a VHF channel or do I call 911? Seriously, how would one get in touch IF something happened?

13. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    call on VHF Channel 9 or 16 mayday mayday mayday you’ll get answer.

Now I don’t want folks to think my thought was to provide EMERGENCEY rescue that’s for DNR and coast guard.

I was proposing non emergency help for friends (BOC), battery died and no emergencey excist other than you are cooling your heels for a few hours waiting for some help.

Or you ran out of gas (you should wait for this one) or you got hung up on a stump and need help.

AT NO TIME should someone other than a professional go do a real rescue. I would help if I felt I could do so safely but if your in a lighning storm and you run out of gas SORRY I am not coming out to get you.

On the other hand if I am at the lake house and here a mayday I will relay your information to DNR or if its just a quick go out and get you I'd be happy to. But REAL rescue needs to be done by professionals.

Towing your dead boat back to the closest Ramp I could do.

Now the running out of gas thing really bugs me every year while fishing I see some dead boat with KIDS in it waving me down "we ran outta gas can you tow us" if it wernt for the KIDS I would tell them I will call in there position, really erks me to see this so often.

Now BOC members (fishermen in general) spend enough time on the water not to be so stupid. But we all have had a break down that just was not preventable and non emergencey in nature....I want to have a call sign for BOC help on VHF.

What Channel to we want as our hail for BOC on Santee?

remember to pic one that is open use.

14. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    What Curt said, Jim. I wasn't implying that the thread was leaning toward emergency response; just making note in case anyone ever has need for it. :big_smile: