Santee area

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Foxhound, May 17, 2008.

1. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Couple of quick questions for you guys......apparently I bent my axle on my pontoon trailer trying to load it in a storm at Randolphs last year when we backed off the ramp. Anyway, since then Im going through tires at a staggering rate.......only getting about 3 trips to santee from home (about 260 mi each trip ) on good quality tires before the inside tread wears completely down.......rest of the tire looks practically new. !.) Can trailer axles be straightened ??? 2.) Does anybody know of anywhere locally that could straighten it ???? (santee area) 3.) any other ideas ???? To look at the wheels, they dont appear to be canted............unless Ive had a couple beers....

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like you have a serious issue on your hands. I am not sure if the axle can be straightend. It may have caused permanent damage. I would definately get it checked out soon . Good luck to you

3. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    ken is it single axle it sounds like its wt related you might add another axle i know it happend to larry his tires whould blow out ever outher trip and i had no trouble he added a axle an has not blue a tire since northern hydrolicks has the whole axle you can add

4. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Ron
    Thats the exact problem Im having.........I think the boat is too heavy for a single axle. It came with only one axle but since then all the new ones from trailstar have two.........if I can just get one more trip out of it this coming weekend.........thought about having the tires remounted on the rims so the good tread is inboard. See up there friday bout noon

5. Pacman

Pacman New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Are these are "trailer" tires? I had a similar problem with a boat too big for the tires. I was averaging a flat every 200 miles. The trailer tire rims are made of tin can metal and sometimes I would have to beat them back with a hammer to even take the lug nuts off. Two hours on the side of the road can ruin a fishing trip! I solved the problem by selling the boat, but if you think the trailer is worth salvaging and you change the axle, you might want to consider changing to an axle and wheel that takes full size auto tires.

Check what's available at a farm supply store such as Agri supply or Tractor supply. They stock axles for farm trailers at reasonable prices. When I was checking around I found kits with the axle/bearings/spindles ready to weld in place.

6. sarSWAMPFOX

sarSWAMPFOX New Member

State:
    Union, South Caroilna
    Ken, I'll be at Poplar Creek this weekend. Where will you be? I would like to take a look at your axle while I'm down there unless you get it fixed before you come. We were having the same problem with my brothers pontoon trailer. Maybe I can help, maybe not but I'll try.

7. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    My dad is having the same problem with his tire's. If you guy's find fix please post I would like to pass the Info on to him.

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Ken it can be straigtened but there arent but a handfull of shops that have the know how or the equipment to do so. I have done them aton of times but I am no longer in that buisness(THANK GOD) but I can reccomened where to go in Florence but if you dont add an extra axle it will get back again very easiy.

9. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    With the cost of good tires, I think it would be worth it to buy a new axle and replace yours. Replacing the axle is pretty simple, and the new one ought to be under $200 or not much more.

One other thought first though - could the axle be crooked? I mean, could one end or the other have been slid either forward or back slightly?

10. mudfishmusic

mudfishmusic New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Replacing the old axle and even adding a new one shouldn't be any real problem, especially if the spring mounts aren't welded in place (which they aren't if you are on a newer trailer). I've never tried to straighten on and would think it could be a little tricky as they aften have a crown in them from the factory. You can probably find everything you need to replace one at Northern Tools for a couple of hundred bucks. If you are going through tires that fast I would think it would be a very wise investment.

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    This seems to be a common pontoon problem.My fishing buddy had the same problem and solved it by adding another axle.DO NOT TRUST THE DEALER TO GIVE YOU A PROPER TRAILER.They are there to sell boats.Find out the weight of the boat LOADED with fuel aboard etc.Then go to trailer websites and find the proper trailer for that load.WHen you buy make sure you get what you need by doing a little research.Most pontoons need two axles and tires of the proper load range.Unfortunately most toons wont be able to use full size tires so you are stuck with those small ones.They go around about 4 times for each 1 revolution of a full size ,which of course leads to tremendous heat build up and destroyed tires.Another bad tendency of toon owners is to look at that big platform and heap tons of stuff on it,which of course loads more weight on the overloaded tires.Finally tire pressure is vital.I just checked to pressure on my trailer and it was 20 lbs lower than it should be simply from sitting there for a few months.Tires looked fine to the naked eye.See you Sat Ken.:big_smile:Maybe:smile2:

12. bearfrog1

bearfrog1 New Member

State:
    Mount Pleasant,
    Agreed. Check the tire pressures. I had a blow out this past Feb. I didn't take the time to check this since the boat sat all winter. 2 hours on side of road does stink. I even had a dual axle for my 25ft pontoon. No one is immune.
    Good luck.

13. Alfred L Phelps

Alfred L Phelps New Member

State:
    south carolina
    FOXHOUND; A little out of the way but Joe's Alignment 2473 Savannah hwy Charleston 556-1401. They had a place in Summerville but closed it,They would need the boat off the trailer.Also try a small level on the rims to see if the camber is way off.