SantaFe lake at Chanute

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by unclebuncle, Oct 11, 2009.

1. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Only had about 30 minutes to fish today but got one eater about 4lbs.I saw a guy last week before the rain catch several around 8 or 9 lbs.This lake has a lot of big ones.Going to try tomorrow when kids are in school.Daughter took a pic but it didnt come out.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Good luck Ray. I thought about goin today but never went. Hoping it warms up some this week. I want a few more flatheads.

3. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Thanks for the insider tips...:big_smile:

4. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I cheated and fished from the car.Cant handle cold.

5. zirjacks

zirjacks Active Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I grew up in chanute. My dad and I always had good fishing out there, pulled plenty of 10lb plus channels from the railroad track side. Never saw a flat come out of there though. Unfortunately, I haven't fished there in probably 15 years. Although now that I have been getting back into fishing I will be trying my luck there when I go down to visit my mom, which will be Halloween weekend. Maybe I will see one of you there!

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC from Missouri Kevin.

7. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Welcome to the Boc Kevin.They do have flatheads and lots of channels over 20.A few years ago when they killed it and restocked they took one out over 70lbs.

8. zirjacks

zirjacks Active Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    I remember when they used to drain it every year. Never knew why they did that. Anyways I have had a lot of good times at, on and around that lake and now all this reminiscing has got me anxious to get back down there and wet a few lines. Would love to hook in to one of those big flatties! Any hints on the hot spots there? :cool2: We always fished around the railroad bridge and off the rocks along the main entrance road and usually did okay. I did notice last time I was at the park they have put a couple feeders out there. How long have those been there? Probably catch the eating size ones around those. I am glad and a little surprised to see a thread about my small town lake pop up here on the BOC! Glad I stumbled upon it!!

9. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Right now they are biting around the rocks you mentioned.Thats an old rock quarry with about 50 ft of water and the rest of the lake is real shallow.Been catching them on flats where it meets quarry.

10. Carp Killer

Carp Killer New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Never thought i would see Santa Fe Lake on here.LOL!!:smile2:

11. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    I owe most of my big flatheads to SantaFe lake...that was where I caught the BAIT! :roll_eyes::eek:oooh:

12. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Yeah me 2 and a lot of big channels on a perch hook too.

13. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    Sounds like next time I go to Wal Mart in good ole Chanute I'm gonna have to make a stop off at Santa Fe Lake. Never tried fishing there before but what the heck, if nothing else I can catch some bait and head for my uncles creek outside of Buffalo.