Santa Fe ???

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by john catfish young, Jan 24, 2009.

1. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Anyone familiar with Santa Fe? Any good fishing near here. My daughter just moved there from Western Kentucky to live with her mans family. I'm thinking of maybe taking a trip in early spring to visit and was wondering what body of water to fish for a couple days....the Gulf???? Lakes or rivers???? Fresh water? Salt water? any info would be appreciated...Thanks!:wink:

2. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Are you talking about Santa Fe, New Mexico John. If so, it is mostly desert out there, but maybe some of the far west Texas guys know of places to fish out there. Come on west Texas guys help him out.

3. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    If you are talking Santa Fe Texas, then the Galveston Bay is full of great fishing. About an hour north of there you have Lake Livingston, and 45 mins north you have Lake Conroe. Both are good catfish lakes. I think they catch a lot of big flats and big gator gar north of Livingston in the Trinity River. There are a few guys on here local to the area that can help you out more.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yes it is Santa Fe Texas....Galveston county I believe. I would be looking for the hottest action available and the closest water available. Any kind of Big fish!!!:wink:

5. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i have not been to galveston since the hurricane. i think it is still hard to find a place to pier fish. if you have a boat you will be ok. i fish lake livingston a lot and the fishing will be getting good for bank fishermen soon. i caught a very nice bluecat drift fishing the main lake 2 days ago. the shad are not in shallow water yet.

6. Whistling Dixie

Whistling Dixie New Member

State:
    Texas
    Just left Sante Fe three hours ago. We're working on our pipeline down there. Sante Fe is near galveston bay and the gulf. There is water everywhere, to the south you have more little bayous than you can name and it's not too far to Freeport where some decent offshore fishing can be had. I spoke with a coworker a couple of days ago who lives in Freeport and he stated that they have been tearing up the redfish along the shallow coastline and in some sloughs that high tide floods and then receeds. Of course I live a hundred miles north of Freeport so I don't know the area real well as far as fishing is concerned. I hear a lot of talk about fishing off the jetties over in Texas City which is just 15 miles east of Sante Fe. Just drive right down highway 6. If you do come down here take the time and spend a little money to purchase one of the maps that shows the reefs and things in the bay, it's very shallow in places and you can ruin an outboard in a hurry. Pay special attention to the channel markers as you head out. A depth finder is great asset but is sometimes useless since the back of the boat may be in 15 feet of water with the bow stuck in the mud.