Santa Ana River Lakes Caught 5 Eaters

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by whiskers77, Aug 23, 2007.

1. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    I decided to do some evening fishing last night at a local private lake. The evening session starts at 5pm and ends at 11pm. I got to the lake around 5:30 and bought a frozen mack from the bait shop. I settled into my spot and got my lines wet. No bites for the first hour but another guy fishing about 50 yards from me was catching one after another (mostly smaller fish). I thought of that as a positive sign and continued to fish. A few soft bites but no takers so I decided to take off my sinkers and fly line my bait (no weight). It didn't take long before I saw the slack in my line tighten up. I ended up catching 6 channels but only kept 5 (lake limit is 5). One smaller cat that was lip hooked was released unharmed. All 5 of my keepers were gut hooked but I was planning on keeping them anyways, so they will end up on the BBQ on Sunday and will make some tasty fish tacos. I had a great time, was kinda discouraged to see the gentleman 50 yards away keep way more than his limit. With it being a private lake there is no game warden to worry about, I hate to see people be selfish and disobey lake rules like that. Oh well, I was happy with my limit.

Brandon

2. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    brandon, Thanks for the post on your fishing.... I know the feeling of being next to someone and I am not catching... Enjoy the BBQ.....

3. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Yeah, it was frustrating at first, but when I saw how small the fish were that he was catching I really didn't care too much, plus it didn't take too long before I started catching keeper size fish. I was happy at the end of the night. Thanks, I will enjoy the BBQ, I'm looking forward to it.

4. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    hey brandon good job on the cats, dude last time I was up in the Sierras saw the same thing and the dfg was on the dude and they still couldn't bust him, iknow i saw this dude get 30 fish, every time he'd get a fish he would throw up on the bank after a few fish his family would come get the fish and take off with them in a car,, em wonder if it could be the same dude, was it a little short dude with a sack of rice hanging out his back pocket

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Good to hear folks catching fish:wink: Good to get out. Nice report Brandon. Dale, seen the same short guy many times. That dude is a traveling fool:smile2: good to hear reports of that Colorado. Got to fish it. It is on my 5 need to spots:wink:

6. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Thanks Dale, It's hard to say if it was the same dude or not probably not, this guy was about 6' tall and fishing by himself next to his little red toyota hatchback. I was glad to seem him catching fish I just hate to see people take more than they are supposed to.

Thanks Robb, thanks for the repp too. I had a great time, it's always nice when you are catching fish. Robb, first week of Sepetember I'll be spending a week in Parker, Az. which is right on the Colorado River. It's about an hour up river from where Dale usually fishes, I'll be happy if I can do a fraction as good as he does fishing the Colorado. Too bad you don't live a little closer Robb, sure would be nice to be able to get together with some of my brothers here from the BOC, my crazy work hours usually prevent me from going to any of the outings. Who knows maybe someday we will be able to work it out, I wouldn't mind finding time to take a trip up there and try out some of those central Cal honey holes you talk about. Maybe someday.

Brandon

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    One day Brandon. :wink: Bert and I was talking bout the Colorado river at the "Deltalover Gathering". love to hook into a flat:tounge_out: Any brother welcome to stop by or hook up while here or passing through Fresno. Fished with many brothers in the past 5 years. Love to learn and and shoot the breeze:smile2:

8. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Robb, there are so many cool people here at the BOC, I'd love to fish with them all. It would be nice if we could all hook up and do a river trip and get into those flatheads you were talking about.

9. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Brandon..... Maybe when school is going good, I'll be able to get away to the river at the end of Sept or into Oct....... take a sick day and depart after the traffic on say thur night...... and head to Blythe.... maybe Martinez....might be able to meet with the Yuma boys, and riverbudd......for a sat lunch and then to the sat. night on the river.....

bayrunner ray

10. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    That sounds like a good plan Ray! I'll be out at the river the first week in October, but again I'll be in the Parker area which is between Havasu and Blythe. I've never caught a flathead while fishing the river but I've done ok on channels, stripers, and smallmouths. Hopefully I can land a decent flathead on one of my next trips.

Maybe before the weather turns cold we can get a group together for a river meeting. Sure would be a good time.

Brandon

11. badams

badams New Member

State:
    california
    If the guys paying to fish on a private lake then I wouldnt care how many fish he took. Not so on a public use river or lake. Then he's ripping off the public in general and possibly hurting nature

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on the catches! :big_smile:

13. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    If you have a cell phone with a camera get a pic of them and the fish and a pic of there license plate and turn it over to the proper authorities. I do this all the time here in Las Vegas as people seem to no habla, no comprende.