Sangchris...

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by dead-on, Aug 23, 2008.

1. dead-on

dead-on New Member

State:
    ky
    I know you guys hear this every year. But does anybody have any tips for bank fishing this lake for flatheads. I've been fishing the dam almost every night without the first run. Plenty of small channels though.

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Welcome to the BOC Sam...
    Sangchris can be tough from the bank. Not a whole lot of access from the bank. .. The damn face can be very good. There are also some points on each side of it that produce nice flatheads. Pretty soon when the fall bite pattern kicks in it can become a pretty good hotspot. Also the strawkus ramp (middle/hot ditch arm) is very productive.

Off the damn face, that rock line runs out a pretty good way.. Best if you can got out there and fish right where the line stops.. You'll feel it when you reel in... Only problem with that area is that rock line claims alot of tackle... That is deep water as well, so you can try floating livley bluegill under a bobber (I use Katbobbers from Wild Wolf a sponsor here) a few feet off the bottom...

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sam Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sam, welcome to the BOC from sunny South Carolina! The BOC is a great place with great people!
    BB in SC

5. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    [​IMG]

JUST A LITTLE FYI FOR YOU:
    Ya see where those lines crowd up against an Outside point here and there ??
    Thats all business and Our Bud Subnet Zero has directed you well.
    With out a Boat your limited but not out of the game.

Ckeck that short streach between the Spillway and the Rip Rap.

Your looking at Deep un-cluttered water except for some Crappie piles .
    Free spooling a Hot Gill under a float just might get entertaining with those Flats... if you can keep some Big Ole BASS :wink: off of him.

Good luck and listen to SuBNet..
    rg

6. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
  7. dead-on

dead-on New Member

State:
    ky
    I couldn't pull either map up for some reason but thanks for the information. I'm going to keep at it and get one of those giant flatties. I have picked up some 20" range bass on the bluegills and I'm pretty certain I have a couple of run-in's with a badger at night near the dam. Not 100% sure because it always comes out at night in the high weeds and makes some nasty noises at me and my buddy. I am also a trapper and have heard some threats made from all sorts of animals in their worst moments, but I've never heard anything as mean sounding as this thing. I guess if he gets a little braver over the coming weeks, I'll find out what it is. Of course, it'll definately cut down on the fishing competition at that spot. LOL

8. Boogie68MHS

Boogie68MHS New Member

State:
    Tovey, IL
    I live 2 blocks from Sangcris and have fished it since it was first flooded.
    You have already got info for around the spillway and Strawkus, although I have never had much luck at Strawkus until fall and then I have done extremly well there with bluegill, you can't use a float there though because of the current from the power plant.
    There is also a spot just east of the camground entrance that is hardly used at night and you can access shallow water or about 25 feet from the bank. I used to catch a lot of fish there late at night to early morning.

Good Luck

9. jcat

jcat New Member

State:
    IL
    I have seen some great flatties come out of here. The fellow I saw doing the best would fish live shad he would net from off the boat ramp. He fished these on a carolina type rig from the evening into night. This fellow fished from off the boat ramp itself. Now you are not supposed to fish from here, but there's not that much traffic in the late fall. He was catching these from Oct through Dec. Give it a try. good luck and welcome:big_smile: