Sangchris help?

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by zoneread, May 11, 2009.

1. zoneread

zoneread New Member

State:
    IL
    Hello, I'm new to this board. I have done a lot of Bass and Crappie fishing at Sangchris, But, I've usually gone to L. Spfld. for catfishing. I know about the large Flatheads, but I fish with my boys, and they are not patient enough for that. Anyway, what are some good areas, ideas, or strategies to catch a mess of decent sized Channel Cats? I know of some deep drops that are close to the shore across from the camp ground that I work for Bass. Might these also be good for Channel Cat? I don't really want to go up into the hot ditch because it is usually crowded, and we have only caught small ones up there. I would greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!

2. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Well, there are a TON!!!! of little channels at Sangchris.. If your wanting to put em on Quantity, should be no problem.. You can work the cove edges or front side of the old Cemetery (Seem to be a popular bass spot too) .. ..
    Sangchris is loaded with brush/downfalls, work the edges with some cut shad or Stink bait if you want action.. Be prepared to have lots of misses with Stink bait out there though, cause the channels run pretty small... I have caught some 5-8#'s, but they been few and far between..

If your wanting Size, Springfield a better choice for big channels IMHO...

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Also, there are alot of old christmas trees the crappie guys have sunk in various coves out Sangchris, if you can find em on your fish finder, good chance of producing some nice channels or a big ol flathead

4. zoneread

zoneread New Member

State:
    IL
    Thank you very much for the reply! I do appreciate it. When you say cemetery, are you talking about the one across from the East Ramp, or the one down the East arm with the submerged hump / island in front of it? I fish both of these extensively for bass. Also, I have caught big Channels drifting L. Spfld. Have you ever drifted Sangchris? I would imagine that a drift around the submerged island would work. I will use your advice. Weather permitting, I am heading out Sat. afternoon. I hope to catch enough for a little fish fry on Sun.

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    the one down the East arm with the submerged hump / island in front of it?

ya the one down the East arm..... My 9 yo has pulled in some nice ones from the edge of the cove to the right of the face and on the face itself with nitecrawlers..... I've caught a bunch of 1-3#'s off wax worms while catching bluegills for flatheads.. Mainly all around the blow downs in all the various coves..