Sangamon river

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by hock_paul, Aug 12, 2008.

1. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Has anyone been fishing or fished in the past, the sangamon river? It looks like good flathead water, but i have never been on it or fished it. I was thinking about going on labor day weekend, and bringing my 14 footer w/ a 9.9.(Looks a little shallow and narrow for my 20 footer!) I was just wondering where a good place to put in would be and maybe some good stretches? I don't have too much time to scout because i live two hours away. I was thinking of putting in @ Riverton, but i do'nt even know if there is a boat ramp there. Just lookin' for a change of scenery, and any help would be much appreciated. THANKS & GOOD FISHING!!!!:big_smile::0a31:

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hell yes its a good flathead river just fish the log piles and deep holes, the waters up ,that hole thing is good if u can get acces to it

3. capnmac59

capnmac59 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yes there is a boat ramp at Riverton at Wieland Park.

4. RiverKid

RiverKid New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Weiland parks a good put in spot. Although the waters pretty low. havent caught much since the drop only channel under a foot, perch and small flathead. Although a buddy caught a few nice size bass th other day.
    A good spot close to weiland is South Fork and Sugar Creek to get here: after putting in at Weiland head south until the river forks. Take to the right...Nice fishing Hole. Good luck...

5. U-262FirstMate

U-262FirstMate New Member

State:
    Illinois
    What RiverKid says,

The area near the confluence of the South Fork and the North Fork is pretty good. As is running up Sugar Creek. There is a log jam up there in about 8 ft. of water that is pretty good. There's also some decent spots downriver from Wheeland Park if you're adventurous. It gets really shallow about 2 curves below Wheeland park. Less than a foot of water all the way across in some places. There's some cats in this stretch. I got about 6 eaters out of there when the water was low about 3 weeks ago.

AC