Sangamon River - Anyone Fishing it?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by SubnetZero, Aug 6, 2007.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Anyone here in IL fish the Sangamon River?

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i live right by it but i dont know any good acces points to it or holes in it to fish but im realy wanting to fish it mostly i fish sangcriss and shelbyvill dam

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Thats why im asking.. Sangchris, my primary flathead lake, the Water temp is at 97!!!! .. Needing to find an alternative... Been wanting to fish the river more anyway... Hard to find bank spots though.
    Right now, the river is EXTREMELY low (though storms moving through lately may pick it up)....If you could get decent access, I think right now would be the best time to find all the deep holes. Water being so low, Im betting the fish are stacked up in them...

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i know a few acces points but like u say it needs to fill up the only decent access point i know is off a bridge by harristown and illiopolis, its a shallow river but if u find the deep holes u can slughter the flatheads and channel, u cold also try the spillway at sangcriss in the daytime ive been having luck there, even in this heat,im down there alot right next to the dam and cast out as deep as i can, but when night omes they stop hitting, im using small bluegill and shrimp,,but as far as deep holes in the sangamen river be preapared to do alot of walking to find them

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    my only experience with that river is near the champaign area and ive never seen it higher than about 6".

6. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've heard that behind the IGA in Petersburg is a good spot to go, although Ive never tried it. I just dont think right now is a good time in any river. The Miss. and Ill. are both down several feet too. Went to the Ill. Sat with no luck and the Miss. Sun with no luck either. Water temp in the Miss. was at 98 on Sun.

7. coalminer78

coalminer78 New Member

State:
    Lincoln, IL
    Have you tried the Riverside Park. Drove through there and they have good bank access but I have never fished from there.

8. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    ya, been there.. They close the park at Dusk :embarassed: so no Nite fishing..

Also, the last Time I went there day fishing, Some Fruitcake stopped and asked if I wanted to run off in the bushes for a good time :angry:.... Talking to a few people since then, seems Riverside is the new "Hook Up" spot for all the rump rangers...

I've caught a few decent Flatheads there during the day.. I may go back someday, but would really prefer finding a spot I can fish at nite and not deal with the other crap....

I've been pouring over Ariel Maps of the river, looking for roads that run close to the river and then going on scouting trips to eyball it.. Most everywhere I've found has been Marked "No Trespassing" :angry: ...

I found one new spot, I can fish at nite.. Haven't fished it yet...

9. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Fellas there is a nice boat ramp ..camping area. more informal than formal and some fine banks to fish off of in Riverton.
    Just off Campbutler road . on the south side of the town .
    Right off the old State route . Public access Just North of old 36 . I think. Better check the map .
    Launched the Boat for Bank pole trips many times.
    Never had anything bothered and No "Bush Buddies" hanging around..

Good Luck and If ya need more details track me down.

R Green / Duckpoor

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Yes, sir.. Actually been there a few time. Wife's uncle put in there all the time in his boat.. Its in Wheeland Park.. There is camping there as well if anyone is interested.... Not sure how the fishing is there though as its on a pretty loooong straight...With the river so low now (river gauge in Riverton showing 2.5 feet), Just no way I can get my boat on it :angry:

11. 450rider

450rider New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Where I fish the sangamon it is excellent fishing.So far this year we have caught a 38,27,26,25 and numerous 15-20 pound flathead.It is great channel cat fishing as well.Completely full of pan sized channels that love sonnys stink bait.Biggest channel this year was 16 pounds out of the Sang.Fish brush piles in the deepest water you can find and you should do well.Flathead and channel both like bluegill(cut or live) in the Sangamon.

12. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Thanks Jake, ya I know they in there.. Just a matter of getting water access :cool2:

13. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Finally able to get down to a new spot I found on the Sangamon...

Caught this on a live 4-5" bluegill. I had only caught 3 gills before heading out, Thinking Shad was gonna be the ticket... First gill, had nice run, but swing and a miss, Second was this Flathead, 3rd one got tore up by the turtles....
    I had a Bunch of small runs and a soft shell turtle on cut shad... Nitecrawlers didn't get any action for some reason...

Attached Files:

14. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Nice fish Tim, you fish Sangchris any?

15. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Oh ya, Thats the main place I fish for the last couple years. Lots of really quality fish in there.. Water temp out there is pretty rough right now.. Though, there is a pretty helpful post here about the water tiles running into it :wink:

16. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    dangit i sold my canoe would be nice to hit it with a canoe but riverside stables will rent canoes there $40 each but they will pick u up and drop you off i'm not talking about fishing from the canoe but float to the good deep spots and then fish em like someone else said they should be stacked up in the holes if your interested in trying this hit me back I was thinking bout getting a few people together and trying it out
    Trevor