sangamon near atterberry

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by 4bratsdad, Aug 11, 2009.

1. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    illinois springfield area
    anybody fish this area?? between petersburg and havana, saw a boat ramp under the bridge, looks shallow for most part, wide like the illinois, would think all those trees would hold cats wondered how far downriver from petersburg ramp before it gets big like that, ive only been few miles down from that ramp, always wanted to try it

2. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Don't know about that exact area -but the Sangamon looks shallow pretty much all the way down - but has some fairly deep holes throughout...there are some very BIG flatheads....watch eatin' them tho:smile2:

3. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    what part of the river do you fish billy? i havnt found any holes worth talkin about, i live on the sang in riverton, can walk across it here, and what's wrong with eatin them fish? have my whole life, and i aint no more messed up than anybody else, my kids like eatin em cause they glow in the dark after, then run around in the yard at night pretendin theyre fireflies, we eat fish out of lk spfld too, havnt heard any kind of warnings

4. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    off route 29 by the airport. Have caught some nice ones - but still worry about eatin them tho - there's a little bit of everything in the Sangamon. I have had more luck at night - I like the firefly thing -thats funny!!!:smile2:

5. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    warnings for the sangamon and lake springfield has been around for several years -

6. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    i havent fished there 4 bout 10 years, used 2 bankline that ditch on northwest side when river was up, we used to camp under the old bridge when i was a kid, got tired of that farmer hasseling us every time we went last few times, game warden told him we could fish under & 20' from each side of bridge cause state owned that, but state seized his land 2 build that new bridge cause he wouldnt sell, so he still acts like he owns it. that spot is about 1 mile down from where sewer dumps in at 8th and camp sangamo rd

7. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    you got the right spot - all of the sangamon is rather nasty - it's all airport now - except for the river....farmer can't run ya off now:smile2: