sangamon at riverton

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by 4bratsdad, Sep 16, 2009.

1. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    illinois springfield area
    anybody ever fish this area?? river is way down now, but i found a 15' deep hole cant seem to pull any cats out of it sonar showes em stacked up in there been tryin last 4 days

2. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    what bait ya been trying? I have had the most luck in the sangamon with frogs - yes frogs. catch em on the bank - stick em on a hook.

3. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    no frogs round here, or id b usin em, lots of toads, ran my noodle jugs last night 30 of em,10 w/ shrimp,10 w/ leaches,10 w/live bluegill, chubs, couple bullheads, caught 2 ,3lb channels on shrimp, lost large fish on bluegill couldnt get him outa logs left 4 bank lines out w/ bluegill= 2 were empty, 2 still alive n swimmin this mornin, might run jugs tonight early b4 dark

4. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    ive tried bout everything, left some posts in channel cat discussion area, if i could find a bunch leapord frogs or tree frogs i'd grab em, ive had very good luck w em n past, river's droppin bout foot a day, i can still get my boat in now and fish this mile or so and this deep hole, we were attacked by asian carp over that hole12' deep had bout 10 land in the boat, had to be 200 or more jumpin around us at midnight, sonar shows solid fish bottom 4 feet of that hole, i wonder if it's asian that im reading, i thought they hung toward the top, would b fun take a baseball bat run through em few times, thank god they're only bout 12" maybe halfpound ea

5. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    Those asians are great cut bait. They hang around anywhere theres enough water to float their stinkin a@@'s. I'd just about bet thats what your picking up. Sangamon is full of'em. Made it a miserable fishing season over by Petersburg. Some refused to go out after dark, they seem to get worse after the sun goes down, like a vampire.

6. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    well bank lines got robbed from trash that was camping at the park, i live next to park/boatramp, didnt think they would tresspass on posted property,cops said they cant do anything river & bank belong to state, said id have to catch them walkin through my woods, then they put their bank lines out on my bank which they cant access without a boat or through my property cops say if i touch theirs i go jail, if they get caught on my property they go, i hate being pushed, i hate thieves, another camper said they cut 3 nice channels off my lines, i spent 4 hours cutting steps into my 20' steep bank to access river friday and already have people tresspassing, sticks in mud, beer cans ,chicken liver containers, i'm the one that will end up in jail over this im sure, cops tell me i need to put my lines across river since i hav a boat and they dont, on someone elses property instead of the land that i pay for, this is crap!!

7. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My understanding has always been that Illinois rivers are considered to be public from the highwater mark bank-to-bank. Sangmon river is considered navigable all the way up to 1 mile south of Mechanicsburg Road bridge.

So, if you're in the navigable part of the Sangamon, anyone can attach bankpoles as the river is a public waterway. If someone is getting access to the river via your private property then they are trespassing by definition, in my layman's opinion. Likely the best you can do is post no-trespassing signs around, and try to deal with it that way. Of course, if there's a road or highway bridge anywhere close, the right-of-way so many feet on each side would be public property. Anyone could get access to wade the river that way, as long as it's a public river.

As far as stealing someone else's fish, that's just low class. I'd also add that even waterways that are not "officially" navigable may be essentially public. For example, the Kaskaskia river isn't "navigable" all the way to Shelbyville, yet folks commonly run the river by boat once they can get public access. While a farmer could own land on both sides and claim (legally) the river as "private property", I don't know if anyone had tried that. I remember one farmer who pumped water from the river for irrigation, based on their property rights.

Shawn

http://www.illinoispaddling.org/Public_Waters_List.htm

8. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    i understand the laws bout the river, this is a tresspassing issue/ theft period, and it seems to b something that cant b controlled, the banks are real high mud too soft to walk except through my property, i have boulders below me that people like to fish from, so they walk through me to get there, have put up signs & they tear em down, have metal ones now 10' up and have cut down trees to block path and they have already been through this weekend, just littered havnt stole anything this weekend, the fishing at the campground sucks so they work way through me, they're decent people that camp there, but a whole lotta rowdy drunks,that raise hell all night leave their trash, tresspass, and rob banklines, i'm sure ill have to guard 24/7 to prevent this, just sucks, i have couple people watching from campground, neighbor has ran one camera,plans on 2 more, and i have now run spotlights that light up bank, its disrespect plain & simple!!