Sandusky Bay (Lake Erie)

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Northernglitch, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Northernglitch

Northernglitch New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sandusky Bay (old bay Bridge area) anyone had any luck around here? I like the fact this is where the Sandusky River connects to the Lake. I would think it is a good area. Similar to the area where the Maumee and Lake Erie connect.

2. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you're going north on rt.2 toward port clinton , and look to the right while going over the bridge where the old bay Bridge area is that i know of then you are looking at very good cat fishing place. I have as well as many other people caught some nice kittys from that area. There's another really nice spot in port clinton, west of Draw Bridge marina. at the rail road trussel lost of good kitty fishing there also..... Actually theres alot of good places to fish up there from bank and shore. hmmm Maybe I need to make my way up there in the near future...

3. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    Haven't been out there yet this year but this time of year it is always good for channels. I prefer the south side of the old bay bridge.

4. Northernglitch

State:
    Ohio
    Sound like both of you know the area. Have either of you tried Oak Harbor area or Mud Creek along I believe it's State Route 53?

I have had good luck on Sandusky Bay as well. We have a trailer up there. I didn't really fish before this year though. By fish I mean for big cats. I have always just used normal combos bought at a walmart like a zebco 33 and 6 foot rod. I went fishing this past saturday after reading some posts in here at catfish1 at the Findlay Reservoirs and I caught 2 really nice cats. One roughly 27 and the other roughly 30 inches. I'm hooked for life now.

5. catmancats

catmancats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not sure of the area youre talking about but doesnt 53 come out at catawba island? , ive fished that are alot too. not sure of the feeder streams that run in there , but if you have a boat , mouse island is a good spot fot kittys, first island north of catawba. it has some deep spots, but theres a shallow reef just to the easr of it and it tends to hold cats all summer long... When we go up there walleye fishing we usually stay for 2 days and fish for 48 hrs. ang cats are our goal at night when the water gets calm....

6. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    If your goal is to catch large channels in that area I would stay closer to the lake. All of the tributaries to western lake erie hold channels like mud creek but, stick to the larger water like the bay or try the mouth of the portage river where feeds into the lake in port clinton. I have seen channels over 20 pounds caught there.

7. Northernglitch

State:
    Ohio
    Have either of you caught any blues or seen anyone catch any with any size?

I've caught several channels up there. I believe my older brother caught a blue way back when I was still in school. We have pictures of the day. (I'll see if I can dig them up and post them) Was a crazy night and made for a great family cook out when we got home.

8. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    There are no blues in erie or any of the tributaries. You probably caught a male channel. The channels in that area can vary in color from a yellowish brown to almost the same color as a blue cat.

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Get ready guys for the NEOCATS tourney on Sandusky Bay on July 11th. Big Cat wins $500 coutesy of the City of Sandusky.