sandpit fishing

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by River_monster91, Jul 22, 2008.

1. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    well figured id start a thread on sandpit fishing. my girlfriend has a sandpit thats got some huge channel cat and some big bass in it too. gonna go fish it here in the next 30 minutes. just thought id start a thread so yall can put your thoughts in on the fishing at sandpits. how many of yall to fish em? what kinda tactics do ya use? just little tidbits of information so we can possibly help some fellow fishermen out. the pit im going to is probally 35-40 ft deep with lots of cover. lots of baitfish for the bigguns to eat. oughta produce some nice fish. i know that when the river has major floods that it runs into this pit but thats only once in a blue moon. anyway im out to catch some baits and go fishing. ill post pics if i catch anything.

2. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Not a lot of info to give you Donnie.There are not many around my neck of the woods.Use to fish one with my Dad yrs ago and it had some nice cats in it.

Most pits are pretty old and have been stocked.If you can find one that gets overflow from a river that would have to be a plus.

Most are privite owned so you might a gold mind there.

And if it has structure that would be where i would start.

Good luck and watch out for the sand fleas!!:smile2:

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    So what's a sandpit? Not being completely dense. I'm guessing it's like a sandy hole in the ground, and since were talking about fishing, there must be some water on top of the sand... But what is the story on the sandpits?

4. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Gary I can only talk about the ones that I have fished. They are areas that the concrete companies take sand from or some times CO-OP's. The one in St. Mary's and Wamego area was real deep 70+ ft. and it had a natural spring feeding it which kept the water temp in check on hot days. They also have real clear water in them if the river is not flooding it. The main one we fished the river was less than 50 yards away and when the water got up the flatheads moved in and got trapped. I have sen some of the biggest flatheads pulled fom them. I just seems like all the conditions are right to grow nice fish. One thing I found though is the fish are really easy to scare off , I guess the clear water makes them real shy and hard to catch.

5. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    its just where a sand company dug down far enuff to reach the water table and they dredged enuff sand out to fill it full of water and people stocked it. pretty simple

6. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Did you have any luck donnie?

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    sand pits are hard to target the only way i ever pull big ones out is by trot linning them

8. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Are you talking about that old one in Oakland outside Topeka?

9. River_monster91

State:
    central kansas
    nope its in ellinwood kansas, caught a few little bass. used some 8'' gills for bait to try and hook a biggun but no luck yet.