Sandbar flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by wayne1967, Aug 31, 2005.

1. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In the next few months I'm gonna make it a priority to catch livebait and fish for flatheads more. I'm on the middle Mississipi and I've fished it alot but mostly with shad for Blues. I've fished in the fall for flatheads in the past with live green sunfish around the mouth of feeder creeks into the river and along old dike posts next to holes. Never fished sand flats but read they are a hotspot at night. Any input on better fishing near front, across the flat or the tail end of it?

2. zebcohobo202

zebcohobo202 New Member

It's been my experience that cats relate to the down current side of a flat. The flats that produce the most fish on my river top out at about 2ft. and taper down to 10-20ft. Catfish like to be close to deep water. I like to anchor right over the shallowest end of the flat and fan my rods out covering the whole flat from deep to shallow. I never stay longer than 30min. Could be my downfall, I'm just not that patient.

3. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know they will hold at the tailend of a hole behind dams.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would try to find that area of the sand bar that has the most drastic dropoff into a deep hole or river channel. Ive always had good luck intercepting flatheads that are traveling from deep to shallow water to feed. A good example would be the down current side of a island and just off the main channel where there could be drastic change in depth from about 30 feet to 8 feet. This would be a nice transition area to set up on.

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    my favorite spot back in ohio is on a huge beach (sandbar), maybe it was just so huge because we were in a drought this summer, i dont know i just found the spot last july........well i fish off the bank so im not too sure about depths and all.......but i always cast off the low side of the beach....kinda aim out toward where the still meets the current.......dont catch big numbers but do catch big dogs........atleast one good run everytime ive been there, and my biggest catch ever came off that beach( 40 lb flattie)........and also there is a dam+lock just up river from the bar........

6. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I'm a firm believer in fishing from either side of a sand bar. There is usually an eddy somewhere nearby, and I tend to see from experience that cats like the flats and being out of the current (at least at night).

7. cross_their_eyes

cross_their_eyes New Member

State:
    Show Me State
    I've fished alot of sand bars, had some good runs too! But, I've also noticed an increase in the GAR bite. You'll know; slow runs and you won't hookup on many of them.

8. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I'm with nuthinlikeacat, I fish the sand bars edges. Also each side of long coves.

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    hers a couple areas that i think might be good spots what do you all think?

in both pics the river is running towards the bottom of the page.
    the one area in question is the island or bar that is up sream of the tressel
    bridge. this is near a drop off as the channel is deep 18-20 feet at least.

would this be a good spot??

the second pic shows a feeder creek on the left of pic this empties into the outbend of the river and has a lot of timber snags in the mouth.
    good spot???

10. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    I like fishing in or near timber, and I especially like to be near holes...if you ask me, they sound like good spots to try :D

11. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    my prime spots a sandbar right across from a deep hole. we started there last spring and so far produced a couple 20# a 35#,45# and a 63# and a few dinks. then in the fall we caught a 35#and25# blues.
    the flats especially in pre spawn come out from that hole and come to the shallow areas to feed. i caught all mine in 3-6 feet of water.

12. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love a sand bar next to a deep hole, especially in prespawn!

13. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Are you are reffering to a shallow sandbar? I fish the upstream side of them and/or any cover that is near. If you have any dropoffs nearby you really have a hotspot going on! Try floating some gill from the sandbar to the dropoff point.

14. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois

from your descriptions they sound like good holes. One thing I have found out when using the google map is frustrating. You find all kinds of roads to access good points of the river, you get there only to find out that it is private property or unaccessable, or just a plain old bad spot. Spent 5 hours last weekend looking for new territory on the sangamon and busted, very hard.

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you really cant tell too much by those satellite pics, some of my best holes are in straight stretches and look like garbage and there are great looking sandbars in bends that look great but are really shallow and worthless. you have to get out there and look around yourself either by hiking or floating in a canoe.

16. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Darryl, those look and sound like excellent spots. I catch a lot of my better flatties at the mouths of feeder creeks. The down river end of that island is an excellent spot, but don't overlook the upper end of the island. There will be a slight to moderate current break in the center of the island upstream and there should be plenty of jammed up timber also. The upper end of an island can be as productive as the lower end at times. Vern

17. BIGBASS3638

BIGBASS3638 New Member

the tail end of the bar usualy works for me!

18. okiekrawler

okiekrawler New Member

State:
    roland ,oklahoma
    i have never fished sandbars for flatheads. after reading this i know where i will start spending more time!!

19. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Sand bars are great spots, I agree with you guys are saying.

20. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Just a couple of things to note. In the spring the creek will most likely be warmer water than the main river, so the mouth will draw in bait which draws in the flats. You said there was timber there so it should hold flatheads they love wood. I'd start there .Later durring pre-spawn u should find them moving a lot more then the island would be a good bet.
    As for top or bottom of the island, try both. If the current is normal the active fish will usually be in the front especially if it has wood piled in front. If the water is high and fast, everybody "baitfish included" will be in the back, out of the full current. In the spring early summer they will also hit cut shad / herring I hear. Let us know how your experimenting works out. good luck