sand pit flatheads

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by uttatoo, Jul 16, 2008.

1. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    here in kansas we have sand pits next to our river full of flatheads and they have no structure most of them are dish bowl shaped and go deep 1 ft from the bank
    i have always cought channels and flatheads on trotlines in them but have yet to catch a flathead on rod and reel

my question is how can i target something without structure and do any of you target flateahs in this kind of pits
    any help would be great

i have fished one pit for 3 yrs and no flathead yet on r&r but only on trotline
    i have put my bait in the same place as my trotlines and still no fish:wink:

2. littlecat

littlecat New Member

State:
    west virginia
    if i were u and had a boat i would make some structure for them flatties. being that there structure oriented. try it it just might work for ya.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey gus i would ditch the catfishing gear for a little bit and pick up an ultralight rod with a fly or small worm on it. do some perch fishing, and walk the bank trying to find the biggest concentrations of perch. even though we can look at a pond and see no cover, perch find areas where they like to hang out and nest, areas that appeal to them for whatever reason. you might see lighter spots along the shore where they are bedded. i have seen them stay on or around beds even when they weren't apparently spawning. these areas could very well be fast food drive throughs for flatties bud! they will hang out in the deeper water, but in places where the bait doesn't move much, they will have to hit the area sometime. it all comes down to how much time you have to fish the area.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like the flats are living in the holes underneath the bank. Makes them hard to target, but they have to leave home sometime. What are you using for bait?

5. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    the thing about the sand pits is the are just that nothing but sand and the one i target has hardly any bluegills i think because of the fact there are so many flatheads in there but there are alot of shad
    maybe they follow the shad around ?

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Sounds like you need to catch some shad for bait for sure! Also I would spend a day just trying to figure out where the shad are and where they go. They tend to have a consistant pattern that they run. If there is an overabundance of shad then they are most likely getting targeted by flathead.