sand flats

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by camochris2, Aug 4, 2009.

1. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    i was woundering if any of you guys could help me out with how to fish these for blue cats and is it true the fish will not come up on these whene there is a full moon just anything you would all like to share with me on this would be great thanks

2. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    come on guys nothing at all :eek:oooh:

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    You don't need any help...:0a10:

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Chris looks like you have done pretty well already! Not in your area so can't help in that regards. I know from personal experience that the full moon slows down bites here. However it has never stopped me from catching fish.

5. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hit the deeper ledge off the sand bar:wink:. Fish deeper than normal in cruising lanes just like in the day.

6. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    thanks all i have done ok but i have caught most of my fish in deep water in the holels and would like fishing the flats just dont know much about it or how to go about it so any help is great

7. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have not caught a bunch of fish off of sand flats, but that could be because I don't spend alot of time fishing them, but I do know alot of guys that tear up the big fish on them. It is hard to pick a spot when trying to fish a flat, because the fish could be anywhere when they are feeding up through a flat. They will be where the bait is whether that be in close to the bank or farther out. But a good rule of thumb is to fish tip to tip on the dykes. Get about half way between the dykes and in line with the tips. The best flats will be the flats with deep holes above and below them, or a if they have a good deep stretch of channel across the river. If I was you, I would concentrate on the flats above and below where you have had your best luck! Fish them in several different places, in and out, but always stay somewhat close to half way in between the dykes. Another thing to remember is to be quiet and give it time. When I fish a flat I shut all my electonics off including my lights and give it at least a couple hours. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  8. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I don't fish the Missouri much but here on the Mississippi the flats heat up with the weather and I have had some of my best nights with a full moon. I look for any structure as close out to the channel as I can find or any dip or hump on a flat and spend some time. Last year when it was brutally hot in the day the flats were on fire at night. I also like to fish the front side of the flat where it comes up and levels off. I am no expert but that is what has been working for me.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    In the Cabelas tourney just downstream from KC this past weekend, most all of the bigger fish were reported caught on flats (mud or sand) in less than 4 feet of water. The winning team said their fish came from 1 foot of water. On sweet pickles :crazy: Ok, I made up the part about the pickles :embarassed:

Part of it is that there is no set formula, one week they will be very shallow, the next week maybe 12-14 feet of water, and as often as not they are cruising all over the flat at all depths looking for a meal. August, with hot weather and warm water temps, seems to be the best time to target fishing the shallower flats.

As far as the moon phase, I wouldn't sweat it too much, just try different depths until you dial them in.

10. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    thanks all i have a big night tourny this weekend and i am have problems finding them this year its been hard i have caught nothing over 30lbs all year just trying to get ideas on where and how to fish some places for this weekend

11. Blade4130

Blade4130 Well-Known Member

State:
    Independence MO
    Full moonlite nights may not be the best for flats or so I have heard, but my best nights for channels and blues have been on full moonlite nights.