Sand bass (white bass)

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by TDawgNOk, Sep 6, 2005.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Have any of you had the enjoyment of chasing the running sandbass?

When they are chasing the shad up and out of the water and there are hundreds of them jumping around your boat?

Man, it is an awesome experiance that EVERYONE should get to have at least once.

What are your favorite techniques for fishin these runs?

How do you find them before they start?

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    yes, I often target white Bass that are on the feed. I enjoy casting an ultra-lite rod at the feeding white bass rigged with crappie jigs. white curly tails is my favorite.

3. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    We were using top water lures.

I've heard that using a slab and 2-3 jigs are good too

4. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    They are a nusence to me where i fish because they swarm anything you throw out. Kastmaster or small silver spoons are excellent for them. They make an excellent flathead bait! I see guys catch them on bare hooks even!

5. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    When i fish for white bass, I just use a silver spoon on an ultralight rod. I cast at the shad schools, and usually get a fish instantly. My record for white bass is 62 in an hour on Grand Lake in Oklahoma.

6. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    How do you find them? Other than seeing them jumping on top of the water? I want to get be able to find them and be there before they start jumping.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Here are a couple of tips from way back in the early 1950s.

When they're schooling, take the first white bass you catch and attach a balloon with about 10' of string or old line. When the fish rejoins the school, it drags the balloon along on the surface, marking the location for you.

Back in those 'stone age' days, spinning wasn't in widespread use yet, and mono was so stiff and had so much memory that no one even considered using it on a revolving spool reel; so, it wasn't much good for throwing light lures either. Your ordinary casting reel didn't have anything for a drag but your 'educated' thumb. How then, to throw a small jig, or better yet, small popping bug, without using a fly rod? Take a large surface plug, such as a Lucky 13, or a Dalton Special and attach a 4"-5" length of piano wire/solid wire leader to the rear hook hanger, and a loop in the end of the wire. Attach a length of heavy mono that's just a bit shorter than the wire, and attach a white surface popping bug. I generally made my own out of balsa wood and feathers, but then, I was into stuff like that; you can cerainly find something in just about any fishing department. You want heavy mono for two reasons: first, it needs to be fairly stiff, so that it doesn't wrap up around the wire during casting; second, the heavier it is, the less often you will have to change it. The piano wire and stiff mono keep the popping bug from getting tangled up in the large casting plug, while the casting plug has enough weight to cast with any type tackle you want to use. And there seems to be something about the large plug chugging along and being followed by the little popper that really attracts the fish; while it was developed for use on white bass, I also found it very effective on largemouths back then. Of course, I seem to have gotten away from that over the years, but getting into a real mess of white bass would be fun, especially if I had the grandkids along.

8. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Jtrew...thats a good tip...I was wondering if anybody else used balloons to keep tabs on schooling white bass or crappie. My fishing buddy and I started doing just that 10 years ago, and it works like a charm. In the Neosho river on the Kansas side at the local low water dam the whitebass and wiper group up and concentrate in huge schools in the river channel beneath the dam and also the riffles further downstream of the dam. We might have a half dozen different schools marked in the immediate area around our achored boat at one time. It makes it possible keep tabs on the fast moving wiper schools especially. And also keep in mind that similar sized fish school together...so if you release a big one with a marker...the odds are that you're in the strike zone of some nice fish when you chase him around.
    I use a Team Daiwa 2500 medium lite and a Team Daiwa 3500 medium action spinning reel on a St. Croix 7 1/2' ML and a SC 8' Med graphite rod. I spool with Power Pro 10/40 lb on the medium and 6/20 lb on the medium lite. The braid is really nice because of its low diameter long casting nature and also the no-stretch feature as not all bites are as noticable as others during the early run...and zero stretch helps you really feel the soft bite. My lures are a custom poured 1/8 oz lead head jig painted chartreuse and fitted with a 2/0 Gamakatsu hook. The 3" Swimmin' Minnow plastic body in blue thunder color is the best around these parts IMO. I also cast cut or live shad under a balloon primarily for wiper...but it's hard telling what you'll hook into that time of year. My first love is catching the big blues and flatheads on rod and reel...but a close second has to be tangling with the wiper and the whitebass too every spring.

9. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    How exactly do you attach the ballon to the bass?

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Good post Jerry, I love to read your ideas.

11. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    To attach you might run the string through its gill and out its mouth, like a stringer, but i'm not sure. As far as finding them, i've never had much trouble finding them, Grand Lake is full of them. Wherever there are shad jumping, there is usually white bass nearby. Fishing the points on a windy day is also effective.

12. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    That's a darn good idea. I would have never thunk it.

13. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    jtrew,

Thanks for the idea! I never would have thought about marking the school that way. How exactly do you attatch the line to the sandie though?

14. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Here is the picture of the Sand Bass we caught Sunday evening.

Attached Files:

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I have run the string through the gills, but I've always been afraid of injuring the fish that way. My preferred method is to use the point of a knife to make a small hole in the fish's lower jaw, run the string through, and tie it off.

When you're through chasing the 'fish on a balloon', be sure to pick it up, properly dispose of the balloon, and either release the fish or put it on your stringer.

16. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I don't know, if I find a way to keep track of the school, I might not ever stop.

LOL

Thanks for the information. I will try it out and let you know how we do.

17. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    Jerry,
    Good post! I have used "ballons/markers" for years targeting sandies. Due to their "here/gone" appearances that makes it a whole lot easier. Bye the way, do you ever make trips to TX? When I get back there I would sure enjoy fishing with you, or maybe I can make it up to visit/fish with you! :)

18. misterwhiskers

misterwhiskers New Member

State:
    Trenton
    I'm gonna give that a try Jtrew if ya dun mind.Very good tip there!

You can catch alot of them lil bass on herring rigs,use them for stripers when the herring are gone.
    6-8 gold hooks on a string sold in a pack for a couple dollars.You can pull up 3-4 fish at a time in a school

19. astutzman

astutzman New Member

State:
    Collinsville, IL
    Anybody ever fish in old gravel pits for white bass? We've got a couple by my house that were dug right next to a river. When they had mined them out, they let the river flood the pits. Now they've got some of the best white bass fishing I've ever seen. They can spawn in the river, then school in the deeper water in the pits during the summer. They'd get so thick that we could catch them from shore. They'd push baitfish up onto the shallower "shelfs" and just make the water boil.

Lots of fun.

20. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    hell all them whitebass look like bait to me........good cut bait for channels......