Sand Bass: Are they running yet in Oklahoma?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by mtrimble, Apr 7, 2006.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Are the sandbass running in the rivers where any of you guys are? Im itching for some good tasting sandies.

2. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    ive been hearing that its on in many spots. check out the message board on fishingnotebook.com. alot of those guys are from oklahoma and thats all they talk about.

3. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Matt...the whitebass are running up the Neosho river...which flows into Grand Lake, Okla. I already have 50 lb or so in the freezer...and that's just in 3 weeks fishing. It'll get even better now that the rains have brought up the river.

Good luck!!

4. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hey thanks Brian. I guess we just havent got enough rain here in central OK.

C'mon guys I know some of you are hanging out at the rivers. Have you seen any Sand Bass!?
    I need to know. Dont be stingy with the sandie spots. There are plenty plenty plenty of them fish to go around!

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Matt,

I don't know of any good sandbass spots down in the OKC area. Now most of the lakes up hear in the NorthEast have been doing pretty decent. I only been out once this year to troll for sandies and we caught about 40 in one afternoon. We haven't gotten much rain around hear also and they are a little more scattered than when there's good water running. I would just pick the main river that flows into your lake at start working your way up the channel. Also try different type's of your favorite lures. Deep diving baits like shad raps and rattletraps worked for us when we got some colder weather a few weeks back. They didn't hit anything less that 20 ft deep. Those deep diving shadraps works when nothing else seemed to. I'll throw A couple of inline spinners like rooster tails, a silver spoon and deeper diving crankbaits to see at what depth there hitting. Live shad hooked through the bottom lip and out the nose will work great when nothing else will also. Good Luck.

6. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hey I appreciate the tips Chris.

7. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    they are in full spawn on the arkensaws river at the gore webber aria. last week im sure they are biting every where . thunder bird the crappies are wide open. have cought my limit of keppers every day this week.have a day

8. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    We caught about 30 today on the Verdigris above Oolagah lake. Everyone was having a tough time today catching any numbers. I think the cool front that came through turned them off a little bit. I talked to some guys who said earlier in the week they were catching 100 plus in a afternoon but nobody seemed to be catching many today. All our sandies came off deep diving shad raps in 20 to 30 feet of water.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    heard a few weeks ago that they were running in the cimmaron north of Guthrie. Friend said he sat on a sandbar and watched them for quite a while. He was more impressed with what he thought were two strippers because they were way to big to be sandies (unless they were King Kong Sandies).

10. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I chased whitebass Friday, Sat., and Sun....and plan on being at the Chetopa Ks. low water dam at 6:30 AM in the morning. (Monday)

Caught 17 crappie, 1 walleye, 2 channel, 1 wiper, a 30 lb big mouth buffalo, a 15 lb smallmouth buffalo, 6 gar, and 21 whitebass Friday evening, 38 whitebass, 1 seven lb wiper, and 3 channel (Biggest 11 lb) on Sat., and 36 whitebass, a channel, and 3 wiper this morning/afternoon. All were caught wading on a 1/4, 1/8 or 1/16 oz chartreuse jighead and a red/yellow/orange plastic swimin' minnow in 1 1/2" or 3"...except for the crappie...those were on 1/16 oz chartreuse or florescent orange Roadrunner's with red gamakatsu hooks...tipped with a small shiner....tight lining rip rap and current breaks and seams.

The shad are at Chetopa (Neosho river) BIG TIME...seemed like everybody was throwing a cast net and hauling out untold bucketfulls of them.

I just got done curing 5 lb of fresh chicken livers liberally with garlic powder and lemon juice...it's marinating in the fridge. I also bought 4 dozen extra large shiners...which are in an aereated bait bucket as we speak.

Been catching more whitebass than anything...but channel cats and wiper are my target tomorrow with the shiners and chicken liver. Probably cast a jig in between bites on those two...liver on the bottom...large shiner beneath a balloon... and get a few more sandies for the freezer as well.

Heard there was a 15 lb wiper caught in front of the dam before I got there Saturday on a live shad beneath a balloon. Saw several wiper caught weighing between 3-8 lb. My cousin got a 10 pounder while we were there on a cut shad he snagged with his whitebass rig by accident.

Had such a good time these past three days that I called in and took a call in vacation day at workin order to be able to be there bright and early in the AM!

The run is pretty close to being in full swing now...the water levels are at normal now...which is a DRASTIC improvement over the levels just a week ago there in the Neosho. Which by the way Matt...it isnt that we got so much rain here in Se KS....they got hammered upstream around John Redmond reservoir...which the Neosho river flows out of. That's why our river is up....sure as heck isn't because we got it locally! (Although we need it BADLY!!!)

Good luck wherever you fish guys...feel free to venture this way if you catch the notion...I'll take ya out and we'll catch some fish....perhaps an assortment of different species of fish!

The blues will be here within 3 or 4 weeks...and if any of you guys have never caught 20-30 lb blue cats while wade fishing...you're MISSING out on a FANTASTIC experience.

We pitch up a fish camp in the river park every wekend when it starts getting warmer throughout the night...sit around the campfire and tell lies...drink 5% cold beer...grill burgers, brats, and steaks...fry fish.

It's just a really good time....and I'm glad it's finally arrived! It almost makes buckling down during the long winter and working overtime worth it!

Starting now...and running all the way through June...This is the ONE time of the year around here when a guy can go to the Neosho...and rest easy that you'll get some good...if not great action.

The whole key is the shad...they're here...and life is good.

And right now...life is good.

PM me if interested in joining me some weekday or weekend...I'll shoot you my cell phone #...and we'lll see if we can get you penciled in.

11. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Lawrence your killing me man. I was at the Cimmaron all day Saturday and didnt see any Sand Bass. I caught a couple channels but that was about it. I was fishing under the bridge just south of Cresent. I haven't given up yet. Of course the ol' Cimmarron is my favorite river so any day there is a good one.

Brian, that sounds like a heck of a life your livin up there. I was planning on fishing all summer but I have a potential work oppurtunity that sounds to good to pass up. If I dont get the position you better believe Ill be hanging around looking for spots. I wont really know for sure until this long drawn out application process is finished and school lets out. I appreciate you letting me know im welcome. Dont be surprised if you see a white head poking around the Neosho here in a couple months. Ill definately PM you if I head that way.

12. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    Matt...if nothin' else...I'll see you at Keystone this June for the gathering. I see you're signed up...Chris Glass (Catfishcentral) and I are sharing campsite #4 (BIG 4 room tent...Green Chevy Trail Blazer....5 kids...CAN't miss it...lol)...stop in and see us!

By all means...shoot me a pm...we'll hook up before that if you can make it. I'll be there regardless!!

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hey Matt, don't want to kill you. Was just relaying what I was told. I don't know one way or another. I've been trying to catch crappie and have had no luck whatsoever. Caught 3 so far this year... largest about 7 inches, smallest about 4". Wish those were pounds instead of inches. lol Maybe they will be here in numbers soon.

14. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    They were running thick on the Arkansas three weeks ago above Kaw lake people were catching 50 & 60 a day but I think it is over .The crappie in the creeks are spawning already

15. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

The ODWC newsletter fishing report last Tuesday said the sand bass were running in the N. Canadian at Canton lake....

I'm going up there tommorrow 4/11/06, I'll let you know how it worked out on Wednesday....

Paul

16. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Hey Matt,

I fished the N. Canadian river above Canton Lake on 4/11/06. Some sand bass were there but no one was catching them. I don't think they are in the river big time yet. I did catch 8 channels in the river. I should have spent the whole day catfishing. Good Luck.

Paul

17. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Woo- Hoo. They're in the Cimmarron. Gotta give thanks to Theory for telling about that website and Awshucks for mentioning the Cimmarron. I went to a brigde about 40 or so miles east of guthrie. Man it is gorgeous out there. I was catching them slow on a white jig. Then I tipped it with a minnow and that seemed to help. Ran out of minnows so I caught a net-full of river chubs. These chubs were huge! I took my weight of my line, hooked those chubs through their tails, and let them swim with a little guidance from me into locations that looked good. Big sand-bass (or hybrids?) started tearing them up. We caught about 20 between two of us and they had nice size. I just ate my share today. Man, that is one great-tasting kind of fish. Maybe its all that salt in the Cimmaron that enhances the flavor of their flesh?