San Vicente Catfishing.

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bluehunter, Nov 19, 2006.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    This lake is the catfishing giant of So Cal. It will be closing sometimes in 08 for a dam building project for about 5 years so I am going to put my time into the lake before that happens. Meanwhile my son and I went yesterday. I had opportunities but came up short about 4 times on nice blue runs. I will be back though they can not whip me twice in a roll.:big_smile: This is what we came up with. I got a 7 pound blue and my son got a 11 plus pounder. Both caught on fresh cut bonita. Also the slip bobber was doing well on this day. Until next time fisherman and fisherladies, Peaces!

Attached Files:

2. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Brian good job out there at San Vee and Congratulations to Little B too! That's one nice fish that young man is holding.
    I've never been to San Vee but I think I need to give it a shot real soon.
    I can't wait to see your next posts. I'm hoping to see you break your San Vee record real soon.

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks Terry. San Vee is indeed my favorite cat lake in Cali next to Irvine. Whenever you can make it or is going with trolly let me know and I will fill you in on the details about where to go and what to look for. Its a blast seeing those fatties sound the clicker. I hope I can get the record also. I may have had it already judging by how some cats handled me in the past there. :lol:

4. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Thats one proud looking boy Brian! Congrats on the fish and thanks for showing your son the way.:wink:

5. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Brian, I appreciate that very much. I just got off the phone with Trolly and he asked me if I saw your post. As long as I'm still welcome on Trollys boat.(LOL) The guy has been good to me. We may just give San Vee a try. We also looked at some promising territory at Castaic yesterday so we may seriously try that too.

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    pontoon,

I was checking the WON web site ant noticed that many of the SD lakes are closed.... I Lost a giant LM Bass at Hodges the first and last time that I was down there......Hey..... Try Dixon lake..... got rental boats, excellent camping and they have an outstanding summer cat fishing with the rentals till 11pm....

Guess that I'll have to leave the beach, and go down and try "sanvee"

bayrunner ray

7. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    good going again, so your a master of the slip bobber now, how deep were u fishing and how were able figer out were they were with out a fish finder or did you have your portable one, looks like it may have been warm out there

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Dale I was quessing. I played around with the slip until I saw that the bobber was not laying on its side so it was close to the bottom not high above the bottom. Using the length of my rod for measure on my 7 foot pole it was at 21feet. I fished my usual spot so I know about that area pretty much.

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Thanx for the pics Brian. Seein pics of the boy over the years makes me feel older. LOL!

10. luv 2 catch kats

luv 2 catch kats New Member

State:
    ca
    Congrats on you and your son's succes at San Vee. It's all worth while to watch your kid pull on a nice cat. I plan to make a trip down to San Vee in December with my buddy. I've read a lot of our post, so I know you've got the potential to break the record at San Vee.

11. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Way to go Brian. I might have to hit S.V soon. I am stocking up on bonito.
    I bought a couple of bobbers from Gene Chambers, I have been trying to figure how use them properly. Next time wee hook up you got to try one.

Jaime

12. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Brian, Jaime, where do you guys get the bobbers? Now I've got to try this.

13. luv 2 catch kats

State:
    ca
    PONTOON,

HAVE YOU BEEN OUT TO IRVINE SINCE THE BEGINNING OF TROUT SEASON? I KNOW THIS THANKSGIVING WEEKEND ITS PROBABLY GONNA BE CRAZY BUSY WITH THE LONG WEEKEND.

14. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Kyle, I've been a couple of times since the trout were stocked. We caught plenty of them on the troll. I was able to get one up to the boat that was easily 10lbs but it broke off before we could get the net on it.
    Our main reason for going was the cats. My buddy got a nice one but they just weren't biting. I'm sure it was due to all the boat activity.
    We may go back to Casatic this weekend for the stripers. I caught my first striper last Sat. It weighed in at 7.0lbs.

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Terry Kmart sometimes have them also Walmart. You can also order them online at cat connection.

16. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Terry, here is the website mentioned by Jaime.:wink:

http://www.wildwolfproducts.com/

17. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Brian, Ken, Thanks for the information. I'll be giving them a try. hopefully soon.

18. luv 2 catch kats

State:
    ca
    CONGRATS TERRY ON YOUR STRIPER. DID YOU CATCH IT ON CUT ANCHOVIES? MY BUDDY KEN CAUGHT A 25LB ON CUT CHOVIES. I ASO KNOW THAT THEY ARE CAUGHT ON THOSE GIANT CASTAIC TROUT LURES.

19. Pontoon

Pontoon New Member

State:
    California
    Kyle, I got it trolling a 4 1/2" swim bait, green and silver. The fish were holding right off all the points. It seemed like every time we trolled past one of the points we were hit.

20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Also terry when you get your bobbers, get the ones that are 8 - 10 inches. I found out that the 6 inch ones do not hold large baits well. So for the size of the bait we throw, the 8- 10 inch ones would be the one. 10 being the one for the giant baits and 8 for the moderate size ones.