San Vee Catfish Big blues inside

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by catfishruss, Aug 9, 2007.

1. catfishruss

catfishruss New Member

State:
    California
    Hey here is my account of what happened the day I caught the 2 big blues.... ALONG WITH PICS!

Went to San Vee around 1:00 with my uncles and lil cousin. Started out in the aquaduct arm. Toss out some mack dipped in some of my secret sauce ha. About 20 minutes into it I get my first run. Landed em turned out to be a 6 pnd channel. Then a couple minutes later my uncle gets a run and another channel about 3 pounds. Then nothing for about an hour. So we play the waiting game when... ZZZZZZZZZZZZ there goes the line HOOK SET... Initial thoughts around the boat... oh its a big blue. So all hands are ready anticipating the fish. It makes several long runs and stays about 9 feet deep right below the boat. Only using 14 pnd cajun red line so lifting him was near impossible. So we play the waiting game. He runs out from under the boat and being able to turn his head he makes another bline to the boat. Standing on top of the seat we manage to get a net on him. Ends up being a 60.20 blue cat! We all sit back marvel at the fish for a few. Then it was back out there.... not to long after that... ZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZZZZ I set the hook... This one isn't stopping and isn't turning. I get to the end of my spool damn near all lines are reeled up anchors lifted and we start to chase him down. I get some of my line back and hte fight is on. Every time i get him to the boat he made another run! I didn't think I would get this one but after 45 minutes of standing on seats and getting pulled around the boat literally 15 plus times. My uncle at 6'5 lunges out with the net and snags him! 88.40 pound fish. My biggest catfish ever. And the best catfish fight I've ever had. I'm still really stoked about this fish. Although he wasn't the state record it still was a great fight. Still have work to do though
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Nice fish. I wish there were blues in my neck of the woods in N. California. It's only channels for me.

It takes a long time for a fish to get that big. Did you eat them?

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Russell welcome to the BOC And nice cat you got there way to go.

4. catfishruss

catfishruss New Member

State:
    California

From 1985-2007. So that's how big they got sine 85. The fish were eaten only because I had a funeral and had a bunch of people in town to feed. Otherwise they'd still be swimming along.

5. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Wow, that's a long time.

If you're gonna keep a fish for the table, I guess that's as good a reason as any. That's too bad. Hope everyone got their fill.

6. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Whats the deal we got PETA fisherman on this board now:smile: LOL

Damn i'm glad you were able to feed many with that fish reminds me of an old story!!!! :wink:

7. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    that is a trip of a life time . good story to. ibet you were thrilled. congrats. john

8. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Dang, I thought you only kept one fish, not both. The smaller 60 pounder could provide at least 40 pounds of meat. Must have been a big funeral. My condolences. . . .

On a lighter note, anytime you can catch a fish that is 4 or 5 times bigger than the pound test being used, that is an impressive feat.

9. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Nice catch.... I believe in CPR. San Vee is going to be closed soon to do some repair work, or to bring it up to new standards....

Like Robb says..... lots of chicken can be bought to feed the folks....Trophy fish do not grow on trees, and more folks can catch em if they are released....Think of the feelings that "others" would get from the same fish.

bayrunner ray

10. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Russell, welcome to the BOC! Congrats on catching some great fish. :big_smile:

11. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Russell,

Welcome to the BOC. Those are some nice looking fish. Don't worry Russell, not everyone on the BOC welcomes our new members by pushing thier personal practices on them. I practice CPR on anything over 10 lbs. But that my preference and I don't expect you to do what I do, just because I think it's the right thing to do. You keep on following what the law says and enjoy your catch if that's what you want to do. You'll be welcome here either way. Thanks for sharing so many nice pics of a great day in your life. I might even copy it into the library braggin area. It's that good of a post. Thanks again.

12. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Did I do something wrong saying I wish they were still swimming?

Didn't knock the guy just hoped people would think about the really big fish and how long it takes to grow them.

Congratulations on a great catch, you had a really good day on the water. One to remember for a lifetime.

13. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    Russel welcome to the BOC, Were glad to have you.

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    So very true Bryan, and I apologize if I offended anyone. I am often blunt and that is often taken as me being rude. back several years ago, I kept everything and a brother posted a post similar to mine and I took it wrong. However, eventialy, we PM'd eachother and I came away looking at it differently. Conservation with this big kitties is the key to our future anglers growth in this great sport we love.

Now a question for anyone..... How long can a cat like that or a trophy cat be kept out of water to photo and weight? What is the proper care for these majestic giants? If I ever land one like that:eek:oooh: I wouldn't know what to do:crazy:

15. KnotGillty

KnotGillty New Member

State:
    Northern Califo
    Good question Robb. I have my strategy all planned out when I catch that Clear Lake record Channel. If you are in a boat, a giant livewell is the way to go. Without a livewell, use a long rope and secure it through the fish's bottom jaw. Do not run it through the gill plate as it will rub against the gills and eventually kill the fish. If you are in less than 20 feet of water, put out enough rope so that the fish can rest on the bottom. If it is tired & stressed, you don't want it hanging vertically below the boat. If you need to transport it and don't have a livewell in the boat, put wet rags over the fish to keep the sun off it and to keep it's skin wet. Stop the boat every little bit to allow the beast to take a quick plunge back in the water. Once off the lake either put the fish in a giant ice chest w/water, a big livewell, or do the wet rag trick again. If you have to leave the lake to have a fish weighed on a certified scale, know where you are going to go before you take the fish out of the lake. Most grocery stores or meat markets have certified scales. It makes sense to always carry a digital camera when you are fishing so that you can take on the water pics (those are always the best anyways).

Also, wearing a fish out to the point of exhaustion (it comes into the net on it's side) greatly increases the odds that the fish will die. When a fish gets stressed out like that, a chemical change occurs througout the body. I once landed a 20 pound channel on 4 pound test. You don't want to know how long I had to fight that fish. Even though I kept it in an oxygenated livewell for 30 minutes and did all I could, I'm not so sure it lived very much longer. It was barely breathing when I finally released it and it just sank & spun towards the bottom. The quicker you can land a fish, any fish, the better off it will be.

The largest fish of any species have the best genetic makeup. All fish are not created equal and some just do not have the ability to grow to large proportions. Ensuring that the large fish continue spawning guarantees that they pass along their good genetics, allowing a higher probability of future fish to grow to large proportions.

Education is the key to conservation.

16. whiskers77

whiskers77 New Member

State:
    Southern California
    Great job Russell, that is quite an impressive day of fishing! Thanks for sharing the photos with us too and most importantly welcome to the B.O.C.

Randy, thanks for the great info! You listed some things I've never really thought about before, great post!

17. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    catfishruss, welcome to the boc. it's about time you started posting on a true catfish site instead of that C&R sdfish site. i read that one one a lot also. this one is lots better for the catfishermen.
    gary

18. kastmaster

kastmaster New Member

State:
    California
    dang man thats a monster fish