San Marcos River

Discussion in 'TEXAS RIVERS TALK' started by TxRiverman, Dec 15, 2006.

1. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Anybody else fish this river?

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    San Marcos is a good bass and bream river. I've not seen much on people fishing it for catfish, but it should have good populations of catfish, especially channels. The Toobers floating the river interfere
    with the fishing some.

3. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    I fish this river,almost exclusivly,and it seems all i catch are yellows ranging from 5lb to 20lb(my personal best),and channels ranging from 2lb to 10lb. The tubers dont bother me as i am too far south for them.

4. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    I grew up fishing the San MARCOS outta luling tx and love it. I have seen more big flatties come outta there than fishing local lakes around SA.
    It's awesome in that it's so pristine and you can run lines for days and never see a soul.like you got it to yourself.
    I also like the Guadalupe river from Seguin all the way downto Gonzales tx.
    Awesome fishing. Right now with the river muddied up and rising...if it weren't freezing..lol..would be an awesome time to hit it up.
    It's a great fishery and a texas secret as far as catfish..alot of people pass it up..which is fine.it's got a alot fish.
    Good thread guys!

5. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    Where do you fish it at Riverman?
    Iliek the dam there in Luling or at the Seguin Bridge at Hwy 90.
    I prefeer the gonzales locale for the guad. as it has a decent pop. of blues and decent size..not to mention the big gar we catch outta there.

6. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    I forgot to ask riverman..have you tried the guadalupe? If your looking for size..it would be your best bet. I have seen and taken some nice fish outta there...when conditions are right, i find it hard to beat.
    Muddy river= best fishing ..as you probally know but bait is hard to come by when muddied. Have some frozen or on hand if you can.
    We run PVC bank poles on the guad every summer and have a blast.
    Good Luck and thanks for bringing back some memories..it's hard to believe the little ol san marcos river found it's way onto the boc..pretty awesome

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The San Marcos out of Luling may not be as good for being alone as in the past. Parks and Wildlife designated it a Texas River Trail and put up signs. Lots of folk have been paddling it lately. Unfortunately, some know nothing about trotlines and how to paddle around people fishing.

8. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    very true gadzooks. They recently re-did the old mill there and it's becoming a site seeing feature. However due to the log jams all over the lower river..it's un passable to many , but there are still those who do.
    I am fortunate enough to have access to private land down there and the only people we see are the kayak water safari every year. It's goods though that TPW is doing this to turn others onto a great texas river.

9. hillcountryfishin

State:
    tx
    i just re read you post and your right...there are alot of old lines hanging in trees form flooded times or people who left them behind (pet peeve..arhh) but it coudl be dangerous for the un educated river person. Also ..there are quite a few snakes in the lower san marcos....could make for some exciting times in a paddle boat as kids we "jumped ship" a few times to moccasins falling into the boat..let em have it we used to say..lol..pretty good times back in the day.
    I need to hit it up this spring and see what's changed since Iraq last couple of years, the river always changes every season it seems.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I was also referring to working trotlines. Those who rent the canoe or kayak for a day often don't run into working trotlines and limblines. On a river like that part of the San Marcos, there are some who probably maintain a regularr line. Some of them aren't too fancy about how they run lines, running the across channels. Some of those without experience paddling are bound to get wound up in either a good trotline or one that runs across the channel.

11. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    There still isnt alot of paddlers on the river,the river trail starts at the Hwy. 90 bridge and ends at the old mill in Luling. Thats only 6 miles of river. I do fish that stretch of river every now and then,but i have had better luck fishing futher north,between Staples and Fentress. I do ALOT of paddling on this river and have never encountered alot of trot lines or jug lines so i dont worry about that.

12. big bill heller

big bill heller New Member

State:
    texas
    hey we fish the san marcos and guadalupe in gonzales whenever we are able. hey man what is your name ?I am Bill Heller

13. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Ive got a 2 day trip down the river in a couple of weeks,hopefully the weather and the river cooperate. I havent been fishing since Dec,and im starting to get the shakes.

14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Read on another board that there's a booger of a cold front coming from Siberia that will hit Texas at the end of the month. Supposed to be a hard freeze that may reach the valley, one of the worst in years.

15. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    Ya i read that too,i hope that it will miss us and head somewhere else. But you know how it is,when you got plans that when Mr. Murphy makes an appearance.

16. catfishray

catfishray New Member

State:
    texas
    I fish at Ottine above the state park a good lonely stretch of river.

17. CatfishJohn.612

CatfishJohn.612 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I fish both the San Marcos and the Gaudalupe out of gonzales. Real Good yellow cats in them waters.

18. TBill

TBill New Member

State:
    Texas
    I fish the San Marcos between Stairtown and the Highway90 bridge, bets fishing though is below IH-10 in the boulders. Guadalupe is good above Lake Wood to Oak Forest dam.

19. Coldave

Coldave New Member

State:
    Texas
    Will try that as soon as the snow clears, LOL