San Marcos Area

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by cmore09284, Feb 8, 2006.

1. cmore09284

cmore09284 New Member

I live in the San Marcos area and wondering if there any good fishing holes... Catfish preferrably. Thanks.

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    San Marcos River, Blanco River, Guadelupe River, Canyon Lake, Buanig, Calaveras, Pedernales River, Llano River, Lake Travis, Decker Lake, and the whole Highland Lake chain are a few. Then there's Lake Bastop, Fayettville, Choke Canyon, and on. Check out the Texas Parks and Wildlife site for more information on various lakes and rivers near you. Lots of water there, lots of fish.

3. cmore09284

cmore09284 New Member

Only thing is no boat.. so I got to fish from the shore. I've been to quite a lot of those places and I really can't seem to catch anything. Any suggestions?

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The Blanco, Guadelupe, Llano and Pedernales all can be wade fished. All three have nice state parks on them. I've seen a guy on the Blanco at the state park with a big catfish rod...to big in my opinion for the cats there...pull in a few. The Pedernales has the reputation as a pretty good catfish river. The cats are going to be in the riffles and the holes mostly on the outside bends of the rivers. Don't think you are going to catch many big ones, mostly channels as the rivers are fairly small. If you don't have a boat and are worried about safety when wading the rivers, then you may want to try a float tube...Academy has them for less than $70. Below Lake Travis dam used to be a pretty good spot to bank fish for cats, especially if there's some release from the dam. Some of us cat fish from kayaks. Never hooked a big one, mostly in the 3-7 lb range, so its not difficult to handle them. You may want to check out Academy. They carry two or three kayaks (sit-on-tops) for under $400. Also, there is a kayak/canoe dealer now in San Marcos. Try there before you buy.

Bank fishing lakes has always been sorta a hit and miss proposition to me. Takes a lot of searching to find good spots. With wadeable rivers you can hit from road crossings or state parks if you are into camping, your options open up.