San Joaquin River, 8 Mile Road Report

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Deltalover, Feb 12, 2006.

1. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Spent the day fishing with my grandson. First we went to whiskey slough, out at bacon island where they had the flood. You can still see a few fields that are still flooded. On the way to our spot, we saw half a dozen people fishing in the ditches! I have no idea if they were catching anything, but they were still there when we left. I caught one small cat in about an hour. We decided to head to 8mile road to give a try at my boat slip out at the paradise point islands. We had heard reports of some nice stripers biting on shad. We did see a few schools of shad being chased during the boat ride to the island. We started out perch fishing and caught one after another for several hours. We didnt keep any because the were all very small. I switched over to catfishing and caught one small cat on a night crawler. After a couple hours of that, it seemed time to play and we broke out my buddies jetski and raced up and down the river. Chris, my grandson and his friend Altia, took the paddel boat for a cruise. Spent some time working on the dock. Set up a bench, umbrella and my custom homemade rod holder. Should be a nice spot once the weather warms up. Yesterday was a beautiful day in the 70s, not bad for the beginning of feb!

Attached Files:

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Heres a couple more pics from the day.

Attached Files:

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    thanks for sharing Phil. looks like a fun time. I need to get out and go do some fishing wife wants to go crappie fishing real bad. just need to find some good spots though.

4. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Way to go Phil looks and sounds like you all had a nice day out:thumbsup: beautiful weather we've had this week

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Phil,

It look like the weather was on your side & your Grandson look like he had A good time out there. :006:

We got to get together before we go down to the Gathering in April and wet-a-line, be it the Delta or that Fishing Charter Trip on the the coast we were talking about - lets just do it!(LOL:happy: )

Is anyone catching any Crappie at the Delta that you know-of?

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool:
    (Shaina)

6. Mudville

Mudville New Member

well it's been a while since i posted. but here i go. good to see wome of you guys are stil around and going strong. i been out only once this year and got skunked. a damn seal came through and started eating all the fish we were trying to catch.lol. but hopefully things will change and i'll be able to get out some more. when is the gathering? is it at mendota again? i'd like to know. i wanted to go to the last one but wasn't able to. maybe if i plan ahead i can make this one.

7. Mudville

Mudville New Member

oh yeah i forgot to mention that the board looks nice. i like it like this.

8. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey Mudville..... good to see you post. Yep, this will be the 3rd Annual Central California Gathering. Throwing out dates. I am thinking May? Hope you can make this one. Hope a few brothers will host a North Cal or Delta gathering as well. A lot of great things happening here at BOC. Catfishing is getting more and more popular. Anyway, good to hear from you bro.

9. Mudville

Mudville New Member

yeah no prob. been may sounds good to me. got a new tent and some other camping stuff for christmas this year so i should be ready and equiped.lol. well i'll keep popping in and checking to see what's going on. good luck when u go out.

MUDVILLE

10. Mudville

Mudville New Member

i noticed that there are ponts and a bank what can we do with them and how do we use them?

11. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Welcome back Mudville! I have no clue as to the bank/point thing! My last few trips fishing in this area have been pretty slow in spite of the nice weather! I went out to my dock and checked my minnow trap for small perch, yesterday and there was nothing:crying: I have had my pole out all day while working and not a bite! In the last few weeks, I have caught 3 small cats, a couple dozen small perch, a mudsucker and no crappie I know it will get better as it warms up! I am thinking a trip to the coast for some surf perch is in order! You up for that Bert, anyone?

12. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    i am up for some crappie fishing this weekend if it aint raining monday or sunday. some place i can put my boat in at.

13. Begginer_J

Begginer_J New Member

State:
    california
    I havn't been out to check out Paradise Marina yet, but that's one of my favorite spots. This time last year is when my buddy and I were bangin' up those schoolie stripers trolling in my raft. Id'e like to give it a whirl, but I don't have my raft anymore. I might have to try to get in good with someone that has a boat! I'll buy gas and bait and food........ anyway, hope it's a steller year!
    By the way, this is Linz.....I'm at my buddies place (begginerJ)
    later fellas
    Linz

14. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Hey linz..... Whats up dude? You down for this years gathering down here? Whats this about my swimming incident???:cool: LOL!!!! Good times;)