San Joaquin Delta-E. coli turns up in S.J. streams

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by Deltalover, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    It seems to never end! Sure makes it hard to eat the fish I catch:sad:
    E. coli turns up in S.J. streams
    Tests find unsafe amounts of bacteria

Warren Lutz
    Record Staff Writer
    Published Tuesday, Mar 28, 2006

STOCKTON - Farmers charged with monitoring the nasties that drain off their farms haven't found many pesticides, but they are finding alarmingly high levels of fecal bacteria.

Traces of E. coli, a bacterium formed in the lower intestines of mammals and birds, has been found in almost every site tested by two farm groups, according to a University of California, Davis, professor who performed the work.

In humans, E. coli can cause diarrhea, serious illness and even death.
    http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060328/NEWS01/603280329

2. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Yeah I wonder if the levels are harmful though ? does it take just 1 single bacterium to infect us or do our bodys handle certain amounts?

3. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    It may be related to all the new homes in and around the delta along with all the rains and old leeves. Just a thought I'm glad I don't eat fish I just catch them. Hey Phil what's up with some fishing you in?

4. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Bro,We had a E coli prob here in oklahoma about 3-4 years ago at Keystone lake,They said it was from Goose poop(for real)so maybe yall will get some more rain and wash it away?Good luck....Patrick....