San Carlos

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Apache Flats, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Once again no flats this trip only had one run the first night. but caught two bass and several channels to 4lbs. I also bought 6 dz minnows to use at night for crappie and caught at least one per minnow, I only had around 18 for the second night CRAPPIE FISHING WAS THE BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN. It would be safe to say I caught over 100 crappie in two nights all was released but one. Sad that no flats but overall was one of my best trips there. Had a great time meeting new people from tucson that showed up and will plan fishing with them again soon. Thanks guys, by the way I lost a crappie while reaching for the net that I would estimate 4lbs. it was huge. Here is the biggest that I netted and took home 15.5 inches long around two and a half pounds. That for listening Anthony

Attached Files:

2. Pappy B

Pappy B Guest

Great job.Sounds like a hoot.Sorry I missed it.
    How'd you loose such a GIANT crappie?
    Never mind.I remember how I felt last year trying to flip my pb crappie in the boat like a bass and lost it on the rail.
    I'll see ya at work.:smile2:
    Pappy B.

3. Lenny The Lamb

Lenny The Lamb New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Nice slab Anthony, and thanks for the post! San Carlos is one of the few lakes I haven't been to yet, and was just saying it might be crappie time there. Sounds like that is an understatement!! I know it's a no no on this site, but I would've had to harvest a half dozen of those 100 you caught for the frying pan. Congrats on a trip to remember!!

4. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Lenny it's just my thing on CPR, I enjoy fishing so much that I release 99% of all my fish. I will keep a few flats or big channels every year for table fare and the rest are released. The biggest factor being I only have to clean only one fish and get several pounds of meat.
    :wink:

5. az cat hunter

az cat hunter New Member

State:
    AZ
    Great,now you have me re-thinking my plesant trip this weekend.I love san carlos,just hate the drive!!!!How deep where your crappie comming from?Thanks for the report!

6. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Steve I sent you a private message, Anthony

7. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I was fishing in 13ft of water using minnows 5-7ft down. Crappie bite was on at sunset till 1:00am.
    :wink:

8. Lenny The Lamb

State:
    Arizona
    Anthony, don't get me wrong, I am no threat to the fish population, and think I am pretty reasonable with CPR. I do love to eat fish, but luckily for everyone I don't love to clean them, so I only take a few to enjoy, and everything else goes back.

9. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Lenny, I really feel its ok to keep some fish to eat, I just think nobody should ever keep more than they can eat. If it gets freezer burn and it goes to waste then shame on us. I really don't like to clean that many fish like yourself, but I do like to catch as many as I can. If they are harmed at all I will keep them no matter what.
    :0a23:

10. 514th

514th New Member

State:
    arizona
    been gone for a while in the army. havent been to san carlos in almost two and a half years. im lookin forward to goin back there when i get back to az in august.

11. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Sorry guys this is not san carlos lake. This little lake of 620 acres is just outside the town of san carlos. The lake is called Talkalai. I have some stories about this lake good and bad, the natives are sometimes restless:crazy: if you know what I mean. Also have some pictures I can share from last sept-oct.

12. 514th

514th New Member

State:
    arizona
    i used to fish san carlos lake, and had heard of talkalai but never went up and really found out where it was. is it pretty decent, i may check that out.

13. catfishhunter007

catfishhunter007 New Member

State:
    arizona
    hey apache flats, have you heard anything about florida largemouths in there. i was up there on memorial day weekend and i seen this big dark cloud of fish near the dam. At first I thought they were carp because it was such a big school, but they ended up being some REALLY HUGE BASS. I am not kidding, there was a couple in there that were probably 15 plus pounds. unfortunately i had no fishing gear. I was just taking a ride through the country

14. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    Game and fish did a survey last year, they did that electro-shock thing near the dam and found flatheads that would scare you.:crazy: They also said you have a chance at this lake to catch the state record for bass, crappie or flatheads. The biggest fish they shocked was a 4-5lb crappie, 12lb bass, and a man-sized flathead. I think they are telling the truth on all them.:dribble:

15. 514th

514th New Member

State:
    arizona
    so how is the shoreline up there, i always wanted to try it, but alyways went to san carlos lake instead. also is it the same cost. i would be interested in any info you can give me about this lake. it sounds kinda cool. i think you are the only one ive ever heard say anything about it though. also how the heck do you get there.

16. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    There is very limited shoreline access you really need a small boat or canoe for this lake. The price is the same 10$ a day to camp & fish, for a boat it's 5$ a day, and for a two pole stamp it's 3$ a day. It's a little difficult to give directions here I just got lucky the first time I went. I asked the natives in san carlos where it was, If you know where the town is they could guide you there or you should go with someone who has been there before. Here is a few caught from Talkalai last year.:crazy::crazy::crazy:

Attached Files:

17. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    Nice fish dude!

I'd be smiling too!

18. Lenny The Lamb

State:
    Arizona
    No kidding. That would definitely crack a smile!! Nice fish from a lake I had never heard of before Apache Flats brought it to the table.

19. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    X3 Great looking fish. :cool2:

20. Apache Flats

Apache Flats New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az
    I have met alot of good natives here but the bad experiences with them overpower the good. Sooner or later you will find trouble at this lake:angry: Its a shame too, I first came here in 95 and it's perfect my my little boat. So now I will be looking for another lake to learn whether it be bartlett, rosie, or pattie. It's not worth the chance going to Talkalai anymore to much stupid s*** to deal with at times, and it seems to be getting worse over the last two years.