San Carlos results

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Rcaarizona, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    What a crazy time, First off, we go to the dam(brianthelion, myself, gwille, and jasonhumble), this is a 60-75 degree (damn near vertical) hike/slide/bruise/gouging decent about 400 to 500 yards. We fished within 200 yards of the Dam itself. No BS one misstep and any of us easily could have been killed. So what do 35,39,33, and 21 year old men do? Nothing smart of course, so down we went, cause it looks great by the water. Oh yeah, it was getting dark of course as we started. the mountain is all broken glass and sharp rocks, Our shore line was about 6 inches before the water, and had to sit on a huge slope, and sit on rocks. So off to flathead hunt land we go.
    1030, Jason's reel starts screaming so fast i thought it was going to smoke, He sets the hook, and the fish immediately snaps 30 pound spider wire. I burn my tag ends, so the end where it broke was frayed, not burnt, so some monster fish has a 8/0 hook in its mouth still, and it was not a bad tie up.
    Sometime later, I'm sort of laying down dozing off, and there goes Gwille with Fish on. Little Channel, same thing an hour later, this time though he says it is huge. We run over there and Gwille smokes in a 18 pound channel cat. Rest of the night Brianthelion, caught a small channel, Gwille caught 1 monster channel, and I think his PB catfish, and 3 other channels.
    No other runs for us. Now we have to hike out.......Well here is the damage report from the decent to the water, before we hike out:
    Gwille, laid his leg wide open from sliding onto a piece of glass, the cut is about 1.5 inches long, over 1/4 inch wide, and probably the same deep, and he got bit by a king snake
    Myself, screwed my reconstructed knee up, possibly re-tore a ligament, and glass in my hands
    Brianthelion, legs all scraped to hell, that was about it (FYI he did this wearing sandals!!)
    Jasonhumble, nothing (cause you know he's 21!!)
    So up we go, got up fine, but had to drag my right leg, cause my knee is screwed up, while i use my left leg to push my body up the mountain. So exhausted when I hit the top, and overheated that i puke for 5 minutes strait!
    All and all it was brutal but fun, and made some great friends, Gwille and Jason, Gwille is tougher than woodpecker lips, he stayed all night even after filleting his leg wide open! can't wait to fish with these guys again! I think san Carlos Dam trip to where we were at will be by boat next time. Gwille is at Urgent care as I update you, getting stitches, and will probably need every bit of 10-12 of them.

Attached Files:

2. Waterdawg

Waterdawg New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Awesome report! Sounds like a lot of fun despite the challenges:smile2: I hope I can join you guys one of these times!

3. joeldavid

joeldavid New Member

State:
    Mesa, Arizona
    Nice! Combat fishing, but what a nice Channel cat. I hope that knee is alright, I had ACL replacement in my left and know that it can get testy some times if I beat on it.

4. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Smart ppl definetly were!!LMAO!If you get a chance to fish with Gwille or jason they are good ppl for sure!!Dont take Rob mountain climbin,hes kind of a wimp,i climbed that mountain three times,in sandals!!:smile2::smile2: And FYI my small channel was all of a state record,he told me so as he splashed me with his tail!!:cool2:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  5. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    Well just left urgent care with no stitches. I guess there is a twelve hour window from the time of injury. So they just treated me for the snake bite. Lol Anyways what a trip! What a great group of guys! But I can't figure out what's funnier seeing rob throwing up his dinner this morning or watching Brian scale that mountain in his sandals 4 times or maybe it was me falling down the mountain and opening up my leg. Yep joeldavid combat fishing for sure. But pulling in that big channel made it all worth the trip. To bad we all couldn't hook up our pb. Next time for sure can't wait!
    Ohhh! Just figured out the funniest moment: when Jason decided to chum the water with his rig on his very first cast of the night! Lol thanks bro,

6. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    Here is the combat fishing spot!

Attached Files:

7. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    :smile2::smile2: Ive never seen anybody chum the water with hook,sinker and all!!:smile2::smile2:

8. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    More pics of San Carlos dam,that lake sure is wayyy low!!!

Attached Files:

9. joeldavid

joeldavid New Member

State:
    Mesa, Arizona
    My vet let me buy a surgical stapler from him, next time you go just call you can borrow it:smile2: you gotta deal with your own snake bites though I aint ever falling for some " you gotta suck the poison out of it" crap.

Where do you put the cooler?

10. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    I do wonder though how many wives are looking to skin me alive for taking their husbands to dangerous fishing holes, and then bringing their husbands backed injured??!!??!! I do have to come clean on one thing. Gwille is one tough SOB, he really didnt fall, we ran out of bait, so he did the ultimate catfishermans sacrifce, and cut a hunk of meat out of his leg, and THAT is what he caught the channel on!!!Dang what sucked about puking this AM, I ate churchs chicken with hot sauce last night, and it burned coming back up. There absolutely has to be "next time"......just not there, unless in a boat.

11. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thats a wicked lookin spot right there. I think I would walk right by there and never think twice about climbing down. How deep are you fishing there? Looks like you would throw out 20 feet and be in 100 feet of water. By the way, nice fricken channel there G!!!!!

12. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    the deepest spot I casted to, was around 30 feet. But most of the night me and jason kept it in about 6-15 feet of water

13. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Just by looking a brians pic it looks really steep.

14. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    It is extremely steep getting down to that cove, but the water shallows out in the cove.

15. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Great report! the pics brian posted looked brutal. doesn't look like there was any "shore" at all...just a cliff going into the water..gwille's lucky it was a king snake...that's the biggest channel I've ever seen!

I'll call you tomorrow...

16. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    I guess Jason fell asleep:smile2::smile2:

17. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    was that lakeside or below dam?

18. jasonhumble7

jasonhumble7 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Yes sir BTL i past out fast. May be young but tired as hell. Well it was fun going to battle with you guys. I think we have made some good freindships and some new fishing buddys. Well ill give you a call next time i go out. Rob fix that knee. Gwille you are a tropper. Brian your day will come. Well another flatty got away from me. I willl land my first one soon.
    It was the lake side Bro.

19. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Lakeside a couple hundred yards before the Dam.

20. suey

suey New Member

State:
    arizona
    sounds like a nice place to take the boat with the guys and scatter 8-10 rods all over

10 years ago id probably have been one of the crazy with ya all