San Carlos Report/Warning

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Rcaarizona, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Lilmonster, gotabig1, Jdk700?? Jason, Gwille, Son, and myself, all headed to San Carlos. Got there around 10AM, water temp perfect, weather perfect, and never saw the Moon. We went after the bait fish all day, The baitfish were next to impossible to get while in a boat, and I'm certain you will not catch any from shore.
    The Lake is 3% full, and the deepest water we found by the dam was 25 or so feet, and the average from what we got from running all over the lake, is about 20 feet.
    The Flathead cat fishing sucked horribly, we went to some really good spots from the past, with zero runs, we caught a 5 pound channel, and I think a total of 5 or 6 channels. My theory is that since the lake is so low, and all the fish are concentrated, and the flatheads have plenty of food, because the bait fish are concentrated with the Flatheads. The Lake has dang near zero structure, and the bottoms were flat and sandy.
    No one on the lake caught flatheads that night from what we could tell. We threw Carp, Bluegills, shad, cut bluegills, cut Carp, minnows, shrimp, and everything else we could think. Now with 5 adults and two kids we could have up to 12 poles in the water. Just didn't pull any flatheads. We did fish the Dam as well with nothing.
    So this AM we decided to go for what San Carlos was known for, crappie, and Bass. Gwille caught a 10 pound Largemouth, and a crappie, and his boy pulled out a crappie himself.
    Now I know you cant judge a lake by a fishing trip, but I consider myself, Gwille, Lilmonster, and Gotabig1 better than average Flatheaders. So to us, screw this lake, we are not going back! We are going to stick with the more local spots that do produce flatheads that we already know about. We all agreed we had to try the lake out since it was only 3% full.
    As soon as I got home, A friend called me and he has caught many flats, and said that they were also at San Carlos, him and another bud, and they had the same luck, but they fished from shore.
    On a positive note, I met some more of funniest, coolest people around town, Great group of guys, and I know for a fact there will be many more Flathead outings, and very soon.
    It just kind of blows that Everyone of us, has local spots where you will more than likely catch at least one or more Flat, and we know places that produces big fish, yet we went to San Carlos and caught nothing.

Attached Files:

2. JNHoffman57

JNHoffman57 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Awesome report! GwillE nice bass!!! That's a beast!!

3. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    Very nice bass,what caught him?

4. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Rob, I have never fished there but I believe you are probably right, not only are the flatheads concentrated into certain areas but the baitfish are also. The flatheads do not discriminate against eating crappie or bass otherwise carp and gills might work. Sounds like a fishbowl right now, thanks for the update.

5. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Gwillies fishing lure caught him silly!

6. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    They really where not trying to crappie or bass fish they where trying to hook a flathead like that guy with the 74lber got!!!! I told ya should have thrown the texas rigged worm!!!

7. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    :smile2::smile2: You tell em!

8. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    I caught him while we were trolling with a big rattle trap on the first cast, we kind of bullied are way into this spot pretending to have a pack of dogs with us, scaring two guys away. they didnt look to happy when they turned around and seen me holding that monster.:smile2: .I also caught a 6-7 lber that night, darn thing hit a gill the size of my palm. didnt get to get a pic with him, it was cold and everyone was asleep. I just put him back in the water in a hurry so I could find some warmth!
    Another great trip! With some cool fellows!:big_smile::big_smile:

9. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    gwillie did use a rubber worm.and we pulled out everything we had :embarassed:and nothing.it was a good time.i havent had that much fun in a while guys and we didnt even get a run. hey g that was a nice ass fish u caught what a lunker. if u ever get invited 2 fish wit these guys do it u wont regret it. were definatly hittin up some more holes 2gether 4sure. we all talked on the way home and realized we didnt get pb's wit rob cause we didnt rub his balls:smile2: dam it next time.and rob caught the ugliest channel well it looked like lou forigno fertilized the channels nest.:smile2:

10. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    Hey now,remember i said what happens at SC,or didnt happen, stays at SC!:eek:oooh:

11. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    oops did i type that out loud:embarassed:

12. jasonhumble7

jasonhumble7 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Its sad to say but i did rub his balls thats how i got my personal best. Now you know what your forgetting Brian!! Nice bass G will. So san carlos is out.

13. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
  14. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    Yeap, just off the phone with Rob looks like i am not going to san carlos!!! upper salt her i come!!! Im going tuesday about 2pm and coming back probably like wednesday noon time if anyone wants to go let me know!!!
    I think there is just to much food for the flatts like rob explained. Did they find out if that guy false hooked that 74lber....j/k.

15. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Im not all that butt hurt that San Carlos is out, it is way the heck out there, expensive to fish (18 dollars if you have boat), baitfish are impossible dang near and zero structure right now. There are plenty of fish to be had in other spots that are closer for sure!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  16. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Whoa there soldier, Gwille caught his PB bass, what did Gwillie do to me while I was sleeping? great times for sure!!!!!!!

17. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    :crazy: Im glad i had to work!! Too many guys on one boat on a lonely little lake!:smile2:

18. brianthelion02

State:
    arizona
    Smarty!!:angry:

19. pr1mo5

pr1mo5 New Member

State:
    aj arizona
    lmao.... yeah I was excited for san carlos until i read the report.... yeah its really far and for how much you pay they should have people waiting at the boat launch with all ur bait fish you will need and be 100% sure you will get a flat...:tounge_out:

20. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Oh yeah, it was FREEZING COLD last night, the cold wasnt so bad, but it was a very wet cold, which that sucked too.