San Angelo catfish

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Fishwhisperer, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer New Member

State:
    TX
    went out this morning and caught a few channel cats. just right for eating!

Attached Files:

2. dademoss

dademoss Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice cats! What time did you say dinner was?:big_smile:

3. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Nice catch. From the photo titles, I guess that was from Nasworthy. I may have to try it. I usually go to Twin Buttes cause Nasworthy gets crowded, but I haven't done too well on cats lately.

4. Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer New Member

State:
    TX
    we had a pretty good day that day, lots of channels in nasworthy if you can find them. usually in about 8 to 10 foot of water fishing on bottom with dk punch bait will net a few every time.

5. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Went to Twin Buttes Sat. Didn't catch any cats. Mostly drifted the channels and humps usin g fresh chicken liver. I was checking out my new sonar unit and seeing lots of arcs, but maybe not cats. I think they are pretty scattered in the flooded salt cedar. I will try Naswothy next week-end, maybe behind the old power plant up to the spillway. Do you thing that would be good?

Jim

6. Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer New Member

State:
    TX
    that might be the spot that day, u just got to try different place till u find them. there is a place i always catch a few beside the bridge in that cove there. kinda by that tree that sticks out of the cement. i fish butts once in a while and always mark a bunch of fish on my new 480 but have only found a few spots that hold channel cats by that island. about 20 yards from that island between the island and the gates there in about 19 ft of water on worms or danny kings on bottom. been wanting to set a trotline out and see if any yellows are in that lake now after the dry up and all. what do u think?

7. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    There are some yellows in the lake. I saw a couple, maybe 20 lbs caught in May. I set some lines the outside bends in the rocks up the Concho baited with perch. One in Spring Creek, there is a nice rocky hole up there, but cars come in there, so you have to hide your lines. I didn't catch any yellows, just channels on one line I baited with shrimp. I did have one fish twist off, that should have been good. He sure knotted up my line. The guy that had the yellows caught them over towards the gates, but to the left in that channel. I drifted the area 3 times Sat. got one bite, and didn't land it, so I don't know. Also the boys get bored and want to troll for white and black bass after an hour or two. We changed plans and are going to Hords Creek for a couple of days, I have never been there so any ideas are appreciated. I am going to take my flatbottom and try the south pool of Twin Buttes soon. It doesn't get any boat pressure because you have to launch off a bank. A couple of old timers(older than me) said it was pretty good and you could get a 16' foot in and out if you have 4x4. Keep catching them. The boys caught the one in the avatar in the South Concho, near Christoval.9lbs, 12oz. They were super happy.

Jim

8. Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer New Member

State:
    TX
    yeah this guy from work told me the south pool is the best fishing in angelo. i can't get my boat in there or i would fish it good some time to see. i tried fishing at garner dam one time but only caught a few dinks. its a long way around there to the dam also, pretty outlawy back in there by yourself. my old buddy said he used to launch a big bass boat of that rock bottom to the left of that first cattle gaurd u come to, but he had a 4 wheel drive. let me know how it turns out, might have to get me a small boat for that one. never been to hords creek, good luck to ya'll though, i'm sure there's some fish waiting for you.

9. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    yeah, garner dam is a little isolated. I carry some defense when I am by my self up there. I have caught some fish there off and on. not a bad drive if you stay on the fence line. pretty thick if you follow the lake. I lost a spare tire there when I was out in a 12', Will fish the south pool in the next week or two. I have a 16' flat bottom that ought to be good. I need to hook up the fishfinder I took out of my other boat to find structure. Well, we are off to Hords Creek I will let everyone know if we do any good.

Jim

10. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Didn't catch much at Hords Creek. It was full of jet skis and water skiers. It isn't very big, but the kids had fun. It is pretty with nice swimming and might be alright on a slower week-end.

Jim

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

looks like you had a good day fishing Congrats on your catch

12. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I was looking around the other day, drove over behind the Nasworthy dam. Looks like an awesome bank fishing place, especially if they are letting water out into the river. I am going to try it soon.

Jim

13. melvinrose

melvinrose New Member

State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    I see that there are two catfishermen from Sanb Angelo. jsharper and Fishwhisperer. I hope you guys see this post cause "Aint got a clue what i'm doin". On impluse today I stopped by tractor Supply and picked up a 50lb sack of range cubes. I have been catching a few channelcats lately around one clump of brush at Twin Buttes in about 5 feet of water, so I dumped the whole bag in all at once in that brush just to see what happens over the next week or so. I figure the catfish and carp will stuff themselves untill all of the feed is gone so fishing may be slow untill it is all gone. Next I plan to put out sour grain about a quart or so every few days and hopefully hold the fish I attract with the 50lbs of range cubes. What the hell, it only cost about 6 bucks and maby it will work, at least untill it gets really hot and the fish go deeper.

14. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I am wanting to know how that works out. I tried range cubes when I was working at Zapata. They worked well there. I caught fish that were stuffed with them, but they still bit. I have a friend who says they bring in too many carp and only uses soured wheat. I am also without a clue on lake fishing most of the time. Trying to learn, up until the last couple of years, I just fished the Rio Grande and farm ponds. I am learning slowly. Keep us posted on how things work out.

Jim

15. melvinrose

melvinrose New Member

State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    I put that 50lbs of range cubes out on sunday, went back today, tuesday, but as soon as I got there the wind got up and I didn't get to stay long, mabe 20 minutes. I didnt get a bite. I am going back thursday when the wind forcast is better. I also put out another 25lbs of range cubes today but in a different place, and I scattered them out over a wide area. We'll see.
    Melvin

16. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I fished about an hour and a half this afternoon. School was out at Christoval, so I took the boys behind the Nasworthy dam. I thought the cats would be up there before spawn, but Nothing. I did catch a nice bunch of shad that I vacuum packed and froze for later. If I can get to Twin Buttes this week end, I am going to start up close to the rip rap on the south side of the gates, work down a while and take it from there, equaliztion channel, island, and up Spring Creek. Then when I don't catch cats, I will catch some black and/or white bass. Or not.

Jim

17. melvinrose

melvinrose New Member

State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    I went out yesterday (thursday) and finally caught some channel cats. Using the range cubes as chum seems to be working in 5-7 feet of water around brush. I was in the middle of twin buttes, north pool. There is a lot of brush in mid lake and that is where im having my luck. The fish have moved out from the coromorant roost. I did not catch a thing under the roost. The water is just too shallow there. Anyway I caught 9 fish on jugs and rod and reel. I fished form 2:30 untill 7:00. They ranged all the way from 12 1/2" to 6 lbs. Nearly all had either range cubes or sour wheat in there gut. I would say that each one works equally well.

18. melvinrose

melvinrose New Member

State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    Had a good day yesterday. Chummin really pays off. This was at Twin Buttes in the brush.

Attached Files:

19. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Hey Melvin,
    Looks like you had a good trip!Cook um up!
    Ernie

20. melvinrose

melvinrose New Member

State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    OK guys, channelcats are biting on Twin Buttes near San Angelo, Texas. Chum with 10lbs range cubes in the brush (3-5 feet deep) one day, then go back the next day and put out one quart of sour grain. Scatter chum out over an area about the size of your livingroom. Bait out at least three places like this, then fish um right after you put out the sour grain! Early morning and late evening is working best. I caught 13 Saterday and 9 today (thursday). Good Luck.