Sam's Bluegill trap

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by osageCo_flathead, Jan 24, 2006.

1. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I was looking through the library topics and ran across Sam's trap. I decided to make one and used it over night in a covert outside of my home town. when i went to check it this morning I figured it would be empty because I had to break the ice just to get it out of the water LOL. BUT....I got it out of the water and it was full of Goggle eye perch and some crawdads. One of the crawdad's was the biggest I have ever seen. Needless to say I am making another right now and sure has made it easier to get quality bait in cold water. Who ever you are Sam...thanks a million because the trap works GREAT. I used one piece of bread with anise extract poured onto it for bait and that is all it took.
    Next time you set out a trap use the bread with a little anise and see if you have the same results...might be the answer to what is the best bait to get perch.

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    That's great! Dont you love that? I use dry dogfood in my trap, and I bet adding the anise would work well with that. I will try it with bread as well! Thanks for the tip!

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I met Sam at the Ga gathering last year.

Nice guy, and your right, his traps are great.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ok, someone from ohio needs to answer a question for me....are these things legal here in ohio? i am gonna make a few but primarily for bullheads and small carp/goldfish.

5. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Dink, you may want to call Ohio DNR for that answer. Be sure and write down the name of who you talk to. 1-800-WILDLIFE.

6. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I would think they would be legal here in Ohio. As long as your catching forage fish in them. But I would contact ODNR like Catbird suggested.

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Sure go ahead and use it in Ohio. No problem. Everything's legal till you get caught.

You wanted an answer from somebody from Ohio!

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Sam hasn't been here for quite some time. Anyone seen him or know how he's doing?

9. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    Hey, sounds pretty good. Do you have a link to this trap ?

10. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well, today i decided to try making a copy of "sams bluegill trap". below are the pics. i bought a roll of 36 inch by 5 foot hardware cloth for like 11.00, and already had a bunch of cable ties. what i found out works better than the ties is to cut the wire as to leave a little piece of each square and then use needle nose pliers to wrap it on the oposite peice. it seems to make it more sturdy but it took twice as long as the ties, if not longer. i had a peice left and fabricated a smaller trap which i didnt use any cable ties on except for the access door. as you can see i used some coat-hanger to support the cage where i have the lines attached. hope to go out and set them tomorrow in a stunted carp pond to see how they work. i'll have pics of how they do. THANKS SAM!:0a31:

Attached Files:

12. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Hey Mike nice traps. But there's one thing wrong I noticed in your pics. That can next to your trap isn't open. What's up w/ that? :rolleyes:

13. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    in my trap what i do is make a bowl with bread then put catfood in the center and that seems to work

14. bill_gfish

bill_gfish New Member

State:
    st. marys, oh
    MINNOW OR BAIT FISH TRAPS- It is illegal for anglers to possess or use a minnow or bait fish trap larger than 24 inches in length and 12 inches in width. Additionally, possessing or using a minnow or bait fish trap with an opening larger than one inch is illegal.

from the regs. http://ohiodnr.com/wildlife/regs/fishregs/default.htm

always thought about setting one up for chubs.

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for posting that! i forgot that we have regs on traps. i'll be using mine in non-public waters so i should be safe with any size trap. i went and picked up my traps today, NOTHING! i keep forgeting its winter, they're no doubt too inactive to try getting in a trap.

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Dink I would love to have a stunted carp pond! As it is I have to spend hours to catch 4 or 5 from the river. Some days they aren't even in the area, the squealer cats seem to run em off. What a find!

17. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    all you gotta do is find a really small pond, say no bigger than 100 by 100ft, (smaller is better) preferably new with no fish, at least 5ft deep, and go catch about 2dozen carp and throw 'em in there. in 2 years youll have all the baby carp you want! the pond i have almost dried up a couple years ago and darn near killed everything exept for the minnow-sized ones. its coming back but im looking to start another if i can find the right pond.