Sam's Bluegill Trap

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by CAT ADDICT, Jun 2, 2006.

1. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just finished making Sam's Bluegill trap. Can't wait to try it out. Any one else have much luck with it. What are the best baits to put in the trap for bluegill, yellow bellies, crappie???

Thanks,
    Rob

Attached Files:

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i made two of them myself, best bait i have used so far is dry dog food and wheat bread. the wheat bread attracted lots of gills and the dog food attracted a lot of bullheads. i tried cheese/peanut butter crackers to no avail. nothing liked them. i hear a sardine can poked full of holes is dynamite for bullheads, havent tried it yet though.

3. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the info. I am hoping to get it in the water later today!

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    1 thing I learned on here but haven't tried yet is a package of Ramen noodles.I plan on trying that next time,I've always used bread and a half an onion-always worked for me.

5. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Can't wait to hear how it works... in Tennessee we can't trap bluegill, not legally anyway. Have to catch our bait with hook & line... except for shad of course. It's odd because catfish are not game fish... we could trap them, shoot 'em with a bow & arrow, etc. But we can't trap the bait we often use to catch the non-game fish with.

6. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I'm going to have to try to build one, It looks like it wood work good. If its ok with Sam?

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    its not legal here either. only places i use them are in private ponds. they make a great crayfish trap as well, just toss in some dead fish or meat of some kind. now that is legal

8. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Looks awesome. I wish I had somewhere to put a trap

9. Noodlejug

Noodlejug New Member

State:
    st. louis
    How do you make the entrance? Is there a small hole cut or do they push thier way in?

10. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    You can find the trap in the library. Shows you how to make the trap and materials needed.

11. Noodlejug

Noodlejug New Member

State:
    st. louis
    Thanks Larry, Some of the simplist things just dumbfound me most times?

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There are no fish in that trap.

It sure looks good.

13. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gave ole' sam's bait trap a shot. Only had an hour and a half and it worked like a charm....In private ponds of course. Caught a 15-16 inch crappie...the biggest I ever seen. Then my wife caught it's big cousin, a 14 -15 inch bluegill. It would figure I forgot the camera:angry: .

14. ozzfreak

ozzfreak New Member

State:
    Berryville, Arkansas
    wow, i'm suprised that crappie could fit through the holes. Did you make it the size that the instructions said, or did you go bigger?

15. bkhollan

bkhollan New Member

State:
    Washington, Ind
    how many fish do you typically get in traps like that?

16. CAT ADDICT

CAT ADDICT New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I made it just as the instructions say. I was limited on time that I could set it out. Caught small bluegill mostly. About 7-8 in the 3 - 4" range. I may open the slots a little more but I want to let it sit out longer first. I think I found a spot where I can leave it out most the night and not worry about someone walking off with it and my bait. I'll keep ya posted.

17. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    sounds strange but try styrofoam peanuts as your bait. They work great, and last FOREVER!!!

18. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    It looks real good to me. I checked it out in the libairy I think I can make it. Bigcatman0816.

19. dobbie

dobbie Member

I use canned dog foodBeef,liver,and bacone flavor.I just poke 2 or 3 holes in each end.

20. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    oldprowler gave me one he made. It worked great at keystone.