Sammy Claus was good this year

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by steve_b124, Dec 27, 2008.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Got 3 gift cards to The Academy for Christmas. I was able to replace 2 of my stolen spinning rods with Ugly Stick Catfish rods and Quantum Optix size 60 reels and got a set of guide bunks for my trailer. That boat is the hardest to trailer of any boat I've ever owned. It will not center up on the rails for nothing.

I've got both rods rigged up and 1 side of the guides installed on the trailer. I hope to finish the trailer tonight after work. By the way, Academy (in Spartanburg) has a big sale on right now, the Ugly Cats were 29.99. Lots of other rod and reels and tackle are on sale.

Looks like I will be all rigged up and no way to go again. I will be off (I hope) next Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, so I am hoping for decent weather at least 1 of those days. The next week will probably be out as far as fishing goes, my father will be having heart surgery in Knoxville and I will need to be there to taxi my mother back and forth from Morristown to Knoxville.

Speaking of Morristown, anybody ever hear of cat fishing around there? I bass fish on Lake Douglas and Lake Cherokee every spring and walleye fish Douglas early spring every year. Cherokee looks like good cattin water, and I've caught a couple of blue cats while bass fishing. I am thinking of going up and trying drifting up there. I've never seen anybody drift fishing for cats so it may not be productive or they may just have never tried it.

God Bless All,
    Steve

2. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Congrats on your xmas haul, Steve - gettin new stuff is always a thrill :big_smile: Especially the guide bunks, they're so helpfull, especially when it's windy. Hope that your dad's surgery goes well.

3. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Good deal, Steve. Hope those new rigs get a real work out.:big_smile:

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro

If there are blues in there drifting will work. That lake bottom is probablly rocky, but not sure, so you amy have to drift using float rigs or suspend you baits. I hope your father does well and I hope you get to sneak a little fishin in for the New Year.

5. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Hope everything works out well for your Dad Steve.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like you had a fine christmas and got all kinds of nice stuff, good luck this year with your fishing trips and have a wonderful happy new year.

7. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks Guys,
    Dad's surgery is very risky, but he has no chance without it. We are praying for God's will to be done. Dad and his dad are responcible for giving me the love for the outdoors. When I was growing up, dad worked 2 jobs, so every Saturday morning my grand dad picked me up and took me fishing or hunting. Most of the hunting was for rabbits and the fishing for bass and walleye. When dad was off he often took me trout fishing and deer hunting.

My grandfather died about 7 years ago. It was a great loss to me a the time. I still think about him when I am on the lake or walking in the woods with a shotgun. He was a great role model for me. I had the honor of preaching his funeral, a tough job, but an honor non-the-less.

We were told that dad would not make it through the night 12 years ago, but the Lord had other plans. Every day since has been a blessing, and I hope for many more years of those blessings, but I also realize that end is probably near. As hard as it will be, I plan to preach his funeral also - whenever that may be. I feel that I owe him that much.

Dad has a great love for hunting and fishing. I was pleased that some of friends drove him to a stand and then came back to get him this season. He was able to kill a nice 5 point, maybe his last. I take vacation a couple of times a year and take him fishing. He can only last about 4 hours, but what a wonderful time we have together out in the boat. I caught my personal best large mouth this last spring, 11.3 lbs, and he was with me. Dad was more excited than I was, he's never landed one that big. He was also surprized and proud when I released the big girl. He fished that point everytime someone would go with him all summer long.

God Bless All,
    Steve

8. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Glad to hear you were able to replace your rigs. Hope everything goes well with your father.

9. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Glad to hear you got some more fishing gear. Did they ever "officially" find who was responsible? Just wondered. I will be praying for your Dad in his upcoming surgery. Hang on to those memories they are the best!

10. BAREFOOTFISHN

BAREFOOTFISHN New Member

State:
    SC
    Glad you got some new equipment. Hope all goes well with your dad. good luck with the fishing.:big_smile:

11. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    No word yet as to who stole my gear. I doubt I'll ever know for sure or recover any of my gear. The detective called one time and sounded like he had a lead, but not a word since. My experiences with Spartanburg County Sheriff's Department have not been positive to say the least, but that's another story.

God Bless All,
    Steve

12. BAREFOOTFISHN

BAREFOOTFISHN New Member

State:
    SC
    I hope they find the people that took your stuff. I had a thousand dollars worth of fishing gear stole from me in '99 but never foung out who took it. Anyway good luck with that.:smile2:

13. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Sounds like there's a lot of love up in your neck of the woods there, brother Steve. I'm glad to hear that you have replacements for some of your stolen gear, but I'm sorry to hear about your father. Steve, you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. God bless you, Brother.