Sam Rayburn Catfish

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jsharris, Dec 21, 2006.

1. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    Does anyone fish Sam Rayburn for catfish with R&R?

2. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I fish Sam Rayburn myself. I use rod & reels, plus I like to set out trot lines when I camp out. It's a very large lake and lots of fish..

3. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    I made a trip there this past summer with some friends...that place is awesome! I was fly fishing big longear knee-deep in water when I saw what I now know was a baby flathead come swimming up about 15 feet off. Good thing I had the polarized glasses...at the time I figured it was a deformed bullhead and didn't want to do anything with it... it was probably about 2 pounds, and I should have put a crawfish fly on or something, what a fight that would have been!!

4. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i plan on fishing it this spring. it and livingston. i have not been there in 15 years but plan to fish lakes this year and not as much saltwater.

5. coolarrow2

coolarrow2 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I know several people who fish up there. Most bait holes with sour grain and fish with blood bait. They catch channels by the loads like that.

6. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    It looks like i am going to be fishing Rayburn more myself. If i am camping i stay at little hanks marina and fish around young bloods field (huntington/zavalla area). If i am just going for the day i put in at Twin Dykes. we have cought some nice catfish by trotline but only dinkers by r&r. sometimes we will fish right where we put our lines and not catch a thing and then go and run our lines a little later and have 10lb cats on it. baffles me!!

7. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    I can remember a long time ago when i was about 5 we were loading a boat up at San Augustine Park and i was walking back to camp and an Older fella had a Cat strung up that was as tall as he was. That thing had to be over 50lbs. I know there has to be some huge cats in that lake. It is just finding them. I have heard stories about divers checking the Dam and say that they seen some very large Catfishover 100lbs. It might just be rumors. Has anyone heard that tale?

8. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    We all have heard that story about our own hometown lakes. :lol:

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Last week fished Rayburn for about 4 hours on the way back from taking my son back to La. Tech after the holidays. Caught 6 catfish, three were blues over 5 lbs. Fished out of Sandy Creek in my kayak. Never fished the lake before for catfish, forgot my battery for my depth finder, so spied a trot line set out by someone who looked like they knew what they were doing. It appeared to follow a drop off or creek channel. Anchored about 75 ft off and cast out in three directions. Thanks to that trotliner for knowing where the good structure is. No, I didn't molest his line and did not cast to it.

10. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    what where you fishing with? bait that is.

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Wally World raw white shrimp, the $5 bag, caught too of the blues and all the channels. The other blue hit shad I caught on L. Houston a few days before and had frozen. Twice, I had runs of 50 or more yards on the shad, but whatever it was wasn't there when I set the hook. I'm guessing gar.

A bass fisherman told me that there aren't many shad in Rayburn, don't know if I believe him, but I ddn't catch any in my net.

12. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well i have to say that there are a lot of shad. Maybe not the best of populations. When we go camping during the summer we catch plenty of shad by castnet in one night to last the entire week on trotlines. they need to go a 12 midnight at the boat docks or about an hour before daylight at the docks. i know that when i went fishing on the Red River in shreveport there was an endless supply of shad wherever i threw. didnt matter if it was in the middle of the river or close the back. i always caught on every throw.

13. kelley350x

kelley350x New Member

State:
    Texas
    i tossed about ten noodles out sunday and pulled in 6 cats (blues and channels) within thirty minutes. then my boat motor would not start so we could chase the noodles...

My brother in law ran my noodles saturday morning for a few hours and pulled in 16 mainly channels. we cought more but that was only the number of keepers.
    Total we might have fised three hours and had 22 keepers and at least that number of smaller ones.
    I was using night crawlers and livers. we usually use shrimp but the stump store was sold out by the time we got there..

DSC03044.jpg

DSC03046.jpg

14. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I will be camping out at Hanks Creek park on Sam Rayburn, the first week in June. I plan on setting out some Trotlines plus baiting out some holes for R&R fishing. I always have good luck on the Trotlines. Don't get to camp out as much as I used too, so I have to get what I can when there..

If your gonna be in the area in that time frame, come by and lets meet..Another Friend of mine will also be there on the site next to mine. He is a member of the Boc also. (drk48).

Happy fishing to ya..

15. slingwing

slingwing New Member

State:
    Texas
    I live on Rayburn and put out a 15 hook trotline last week in the cove behind my house and caught one 6 pound blue three 5's and three 4 and one 15 pound op. Caught all on live perch. I usually only catch channel, but love to catch those blues. I really like to rod and reel best but also like to fool with trot lines and jugs.

16. kelley350x

kelley350x New Member

State:
    Texas
    I will be at Mill Creek Park this weekend, Any others going to be there?

17. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

Well we went camping on Rayburn and set out our trot lines. The wind blew too hard for 2 1/2 days to run them. Fished the coves during the high wind and caught a few. We did OK on the trot lines as we caught around 60 keepers, eating size. Had a fish fry and still had a gallon of filet's left over.

Other than high wind we had a great time..

18. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have been trotlining Rayburn a lot this year but want to rr for some big catfish. What do you recommend, Rayburn, Natches, or Angelina?

I caught a 32# Opp. last week on trotline.

Thanks,
    wildturkey

19. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    You should be able to catch some biggun's at either of those places. I don't fish the neches river as it's entirely too swift. Anchor would not hold my boat in place the few times I did fish there. I know there's some big fish in there if you can stay anchored.

Rayburn has some very large fish in it and you can anchor just about anywhere and stay put. Get one of the Rayburn maps from Wally World and study it good. There is plenty of good places for big fish to hang out, but you got to know where they stay.

Good luck..

20. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Bud.

My problem is I don't know where the big ones hang out. I was going to try night fishing along the dam in the rip rap. It is shallow and then drops off real fast to deep water. I have seen shad in the shallows at daylight so think the fish will be there also. I don't know what I would be looking for on the lake map. I read where some fish shallow and some fish deep....Just don't know enough about catfish yet, but I am having fun learning.

Thanks,
    Jim