Salute to the F14

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by paleocaver, Jul 30, 2006.

1. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Saw where an F14 made the last flight for the model last Friday. After 32 years the US Navy is retiring the famous interceptor. Made famous in the movie Top Gun, the F14 has always been a favorite of mine right behind the F15. The Navy said with the end of the Cold War that it was no longer needed. It was developed to intercept Soviet bombers. Hope they know what they're doing, I cringe each time I hear of this or that being done away with in our military.

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Scott check out the F22 Raptor I belive that is what they are working to replace it.

3. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Yeah, I love the F14 I saw many of them in my days on board the Carrier Eisenhower. Awesome plane!

4. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Not to worry...it is getting relaced by a joint strike force fighter that is even better than the Tomcat.

5. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    The F22 is an Air Force jet. The new joint strike fighter will be replacing the Tomcat.

6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I thought the F-22 was the new JSF.

7. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    what!!!!!!!!! this is the first I heard of this I always wanted to grow up and fly one as a kid. They will never be able to replace such I fine plane. I am going to go have to watch top gun tonight for old time sake.

8. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
  9. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    They better start building some hybrids. An F-16 at full throttle, will gulp 27 gallons of fuel in less than a minute. The good side is, the in flight refueling tanker hauls 16, 000 gallons, but they don't wash windows anymore. Jack.