Saluda River

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by CarolinaCatJack, Nov 12, 2008.

1. CarolinaCatJack

CarolinaCatJack New Member

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    The Saluda's up a little right now. Anybody up for a little old-school river cattin' up in the big city of Ware Shoals?:cool2:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Wish I could hit it with you brother, good luck fishing

3. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    been ready, but Karen has to work thur and fri... Won't have a vehicle, unless I know definite times. Then I can take her to work and have the car, but have to pick them up at 3pm if I do that.

4. nasty nate

nasty nate New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Matt, I would love to hit the river with ya. I can go any time except for saturdays.

5. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Nate, me and you and Wayne need to get up there. I just got a new rod and reel I'm itchin' to throw. My birthday's this coming Saturday and the wife handed me $100 and told me to go get what I wanted. What else would I do with it?! I mean, legally-speaking.....

6. nasty nate

nasty nate New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Matt, you and Wayne decide when you wan't to go and just let me know, like I said I can go about any day except Saturdays.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I fish below the dam in Easley here and there . If yas want small carp, gills , and small bass there is a lot of them down past the spillway ; )

I've caught a few DD channels down the river also .

-Jim-

8. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Sounds like a plan there, Brother Jim. From the local reports, the flathead bite in Ware Shoals is HOT....I'm gonna be in on that action too.

9. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Just to help you out Bro. did she mention any of the following words as she handed that dough to ya'? "Haircut", "Dentist" ( should be cheap with only one tooth), "Jenny Craig", "Facial" ( 100 bucks wouldn't help much there, I take that one back) "Pedicure" (not going there! CHILL!!!!)

I love ya' Bro.:wink:

Why didn't you invite me? :sad2: Hey you should use that money to take me fishin, after all your VOLS lost, REMEMBER???? :smile2::smile2:

10. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Yes, they did, but I don't see you jumpin' to get the boat hooked up everytime we mention fishin' Greenwood either!! LOL!!!!! Jon, I don't have to mention you. You're more than welcome. All ya gotta do is call, so's I can make sure to brush my tooth, put on clean underwhar and my good overhauls. Just remember, I've lived most of my life outta those hills. I take a bath out yonder in the warshtub every Saturday, whether I need it or not....Mama always said I was cute, and ya know what?! SHE WAS RIGHT!! My sister and cousin think so too, but that's a whole other topic....

11. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    And again, when fishing time has come, I have come down with an illness... This one wouldn't actually stop me from going, but I have a virus, and don't want ya'll getting it. My throat is swollen, and severe coughing. Trust me on this one, you don't want it.

As badly as I want to go, and as badly as Karen wants me to go, I have to step out on this one. :( (what happened to the sad smiley face?!?!)

I'll have to catch the next trip if my body doesn't argue about it. :(

12. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    where do you guys fish at up the saluda? in a boat or from the bank?

13. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Ronnie, you askin for SECRETS? :eek:oooh::smile2: I've never had much luck fishing in my boat. The water level there seems to always be to low!:wink:
    Sorry!

I have caught cats in the lower Saluda up to about hyw. 121. I haven't fished any farther upstream. I hear that fishing behind the dam produces nice Flats this time of the year. As far as bank fishing goes I have never done any of that in the river. Maybe after this weekend and the trip some of them are planning we can all get those secrets!

14. nasty nate

nasty nate New Member

State:
    south carolina
    If I'm fishing at Ware Shoals I fish from the bank, but other parts of the river usually I will fish from my boat.

15. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    Where at in ware shoals? I fish at the highway 25 walkins alot but have never caught a single cat there. bunches of bream though. Are you fishing at the park? If at the dam, how do you get to it? above? below? Looking for new places as the walkins aren't producing.

16. nasty nate

nasty nate New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Wayne, I fish right off of Highway 25, it does involve a fair amount of walking, and there is alot of steep hills to go up and down. Sometimes though, I fish close to the road if I don't feel like walking far. Anyways, I have done pretty good almost every time I've been down there. In the spring I catch alot of nice channels down there, and occasionally a good flathead will bite.

17. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have often stopped on 25 and talked to people fishing there but never got any good reports, and didnt know how far up you could get in a boat.

18. takeaction

takeaction New Member

State:
    Ware Shoals, SC
    you talking about down at the "burnt bridge"? That's a decent walk. .4 miles... We only fish to the west side, down that walkway on the golf course property. My avatar is of us cleaning that exact area. I haven't been to the burnt bridge, but I've looked at the walk on google earth a few times... I don't know how many steep hills, etc. are on that path, so I haven't tried it, as steep hills are VERY bad for my back... One fall and I could be stuck back there...

As for the walkway on the golf course, that's where I've never caught a cat... But I've only fished with worms and minnows.

19. nasty nate

nasty nate New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Wayne, I usually fish near the Hyway 25 bridge, and most of the spots I fish are upstream from the bridge. There are several places that you actually have to use a rope to climb up and down the bank, but most of the spots are easy to get to. We will have to meet up and go one day, but I won't take you anywhere that would put you at risk of getting hurt again.

20. CarolinaCatJack

State:
    Travelers Rest,
    Wayne, you don't have to worry. We're not going without you.